cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rattling object inside Canon EF-S lens: Jams or grinds when trying to focus

palden
Apprentice

I have a Canon EF-S 18-135mm lens that has a rather large-sounding object inside that rattles when I rotate the camera. It sometimes catches or grinds when I'm trying to focus, and the autofocus spins and jerks this way and that without being able to settle on the subject.

I was hoping there was some insider trick solution or way of opening up the lens so that the object could simply drop out. I know this is risky, but I would be almost willing to risk further damage, seeing as sending the lens off for repair costs nearly as much as buying another used lens. 

Are there any sugestions as to what I should or should not do? Thank you, and please excuse my ignorance in advance, as I'm not knowledgeble about this equipment.

4 REPLIES 4

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@paldenwrote:

I have a Canon EF-S 18-135mm lens that has a rather large-sounding object inside that rattles when I rotate the camera. It sometimes catches or grinds when I'm trying to focus, and the autofocus spins and jerks this way and that without being able to settle on the subject.

I was hoping there was some insider trick solution or way of opening up the lens so that the object could simply drop out. I know this is risky, but I would be almost willing to risk further damage, seeing as sending the lens off for repair costs nearly as much as buying another used lens. 

Are there any sugestions as to what I should or should not do? Thank you, and please excuse my ignorance in advance, as I'm not knowledgeble about this equipment.

Sounds like an AF motor has slipped out of place.  You do not want to open it up, not unless you have 4 hands,  you should let Canon service it.  1-800-OK-CANON

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I have 3 APS-C lenses left from my T6s crop days

55-250mm IS STM Used once (box)

18-135 IS STM Used once came with body

17-70 Sigma f2.8~4.5 Macro Contemporary Used but perfect (box & hood)

All of my lenses 10/10.  Perfect glass, perfect condition, perfect operation.  No marks, blemishes, scuffs, dents, dings.. Can't even tell they were handled or used.  All are for sale.  I've sold the rest of my APS-C kit.  Willing to deal.  I have no use for them any longer.     

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Are there any sugestions as to what I should or should not do?"

Yes there is!  Cut your loses and buy a new lens. Look at the Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Lens.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1wrote:

"Are there any sugestions as to what I should or should not do?"

Yes there is!  Cut your loses and buy a new lens. Look at the Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Lens.

I knew this would eventually be said which is the reason I posted.  Cost of repair exceeds current value. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements