cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions about the EF 24-105mm f4L

John_SD
Whiz

Guys, I have a couple of questions regarding the EF 24-105mm f4L, as I am seriously considering the purchase of this lens (refurbished, of course). This would be my first L lens. Keep in mind I don't have a full frame camera, just a T6. Though I am sure that down the line I will be moving on to something much better.. 

Here are my questions:

1. Is an L like this "overkill" on a crop sensor camera? It seems I would be cropped to the center, if you will, and that I'd have a great lens that I wouldn't be able to use to its fullest potential. 

2. I have heard that the EF 24-105mm L produces some barrel distortion at the wide end and that it isn't until you get to around 40mm that it goes away? Any truth to this, or is it just guys nitpicking over nothing?

6 REPLIES 6

The 24-105 is everybody's first "L" lens. It's not the best lens made, but it's a very good general-purpose "walking around" lens. It's a bit long to be the only lens on a crop-frame camera; so if you were never going to go full-frame, you might buy the 17-55mm f/2.8 IS instead. But it will certainly work on a crop camera; I used mine from time to time on my 7D's before i went FF. And I've not seen the barrel distortion you mention. If it's there, it's at least not prominent.

All this is in reference to the Mark I version of the lens. I've never used the Mark II, and it doesn't sound like it's the one you're considering.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

1.  The EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM was my first "L".  It is a great lens on any Canon DSLR camera body.  Your images will never be better than your lens.  You will be more than pleased by it.

2.  Yes, the lens does produce some barrel distortion at the short end, 24mm.  It is nothing that cannot be corrected in post processing by Canon's Digital Photo Professional software.  Most wide angle lenses produce some distortion, anyway.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

" I have heard that the EF 24-105mm L produces some barrel distortion at the wide end ..."

So, you do 'lens correction' upon import in to LR and get on with life.  No biggie.  The ef 24-105mm f4L is the best buy in an "L" lens.  That is why it is most folks first "L".  Before you buy it anywhere look for a 'white box'.  They can be an extremely good buy.  Plus it is brand new, not a refurb.

BTW, if you have no intention to buy a FF camera, I too recommend the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens over the ef 24-105mm f4L.  If your upgrade is perhaps a xxD or a 7D Mk II for instance.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thanks for the great info, gents. Having done some research on the 17-55mm you speak of, I now wish I could get both lenses LOL. However, my wife will only allow me to get one. Therefore, I will sleep on it for a week or so before making a decision.

It seems that both lenses are great. While I have an 18-55 kit lens, I know that is no match for the 17-55 2.8 constant aperature you mentioned. I don't do any indoor shooting to speak of, and I kind of like having the long end. So I am still leaning toward the 24-105mm 'L' lens. 

Thank you again for your great replies.

Other than your future goals, you can't go wrong with either lens.  Smiley Very Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@John_SD wrote:

Thanks for the great info, gents. Having done some research on the 17-55mm you speak of, I now wish I could get both lenses LOL. However, my wife will only allow me to get one. Therefore, I will sleep on it for a week or so before making a decision.

It seems that both lenses are great. While I have an 18-55 kit lens, I know that is no match for the 17-55 2.8 constant aperature you mentioned. I don't do any indoor shooting to speak of, and I kind of like having the long end. So I am still leaning toward the 24-105mm 'L' lens. 

Thank you again for your great replies.

The 24-105mm will feel a little long on your T6.  If you want to stick with "L" lenses, there are a couple of 16-35mm offerings and a 17-40mm lens.  Take a look at those, too.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements