cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pol. filter PLUS lens hood?

illininutt
Enthusiast

If I use a poloriszer filter do I also need to use a lens hood also?  Would it not be difficult to turn the filter with the hood on?

4 REPLIES 4

@illininutt wrote:

If I use a poloriszer filter do I also need to use a lens hood also?  Would it not be difficult to turn the filter with the hood on?

A qualified "yes" to both questions. A lens hood does something for you (keeping out extraneous light) that a polarizer doesn't, but it does make the polarizer more difficult to adjust. You have to judge whether it's worth the trouble, based on the situation.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Post editing software makes polarizers not as needed as in days past. Still useful for shooting reflective surfaces but I would just keep it stowed away unless it is needed.

A lens hood is useful all the time to keep side light out of the lens.

To use both it depends on how the hood attaches, for most lenses the hood uses bayonet fittings that do not interfere when attaching screw on filters. Some hoods leave enough room so you can work the filter with the hood on. If not take off hood, move filter, put hood back on. 

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@illininutt wrote:

The lens hood of the EF 100-400 f/4-5.6L IS II USM has a little door on the side of it that gives you access to a CP filter.  You can turn one like the way you turn the main wheel behind the camera's shutter button.

Personally, I rarely use my CP filters, anymore.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

@illininutt wrote:

The lens hood of the EF 100-400 f/4-5.6L IS II USM has a little door on the side of it that gives you access to a CP filter.  You can turn one like the way you turn the main wheel behind the camera's shutter button.

Personally, I rarely use my CP filters, anymore.  

I have this lens.  The access door in the hood is a nice addition.  The hood is attached so that when it locks in place, the door is at the bottom - so it's still protected from stray light and it's also in the best spot for your fingers to reach the polarizer so you can rotate it.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
Announcements