cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please Help re Canon 24-70 f/2.8L II - not sharp

Maria
Enthusiast

Hello!

I got my 24-70 f/28L II last fall.  I picked it because i wanted a lens that was good in low light and sharp.  I primarily take pictures of my daughter who doesn't tend to stand still much but am able to get some posing out of her.

I'm really struggling with this lens in that i'm finding very few images are tack sharp - not what i expected. i've come to learn (been told) that many are due to the low light and me not necessarily using the proper ISO so adding noise unnessessarily. 

But even now, in summer in really good light i'm still not gettting great results.  I always focus on one eye and out of maybe 10 shots 2 are sharp.

I'm trying to figure out why my ratio of sharp images is soo low. should it not be higher?  Maybe i'm getting too close, or not using the right settings - really questioning myself.   Maybe it's front or back focusing, maybe maybe maybe...

The other day i took some shots, here are the settings i used for most of the shots:

Canon EOS 6D
Exposure:0.006 sec (1/160)
Aperture:f/2.8
Focal Length:65 mm
ISO Speed:800
Exposure Bias:0 EV

Really good indirect light (in my garage). I was about 5 feet away from her... and out of 10 shots where she was standing still only 2 are sharp and even those i'd argue are a tiny bit off....

here is a link to one of the good ones (but still not great ones).. focus was on her right eye (left one as you look at the image):

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mariaangelo/14414080208/in/photostream/

10 REPLIES 10

jagilliam, i am having the exact same issue. 70-200 f/2.8ii is razor sharp, where as 24-70 f/2.8ii is not. where you able to fix the issue?

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements