cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Photogrammetry lenses - something like Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM for full frame?

Eliska
Apprentice

Dear all,

i recently started employing photogrammetry in process of documenting medieval architecture. I have been working with Canon EOS 50D with Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM lenses - exteriors and details with lightening work fine, but interior spaces are, of course, a disaster besause of light issues. Besides getting some more powerfull artificial lightening, I have been thinking about upgrading the gear to full frame (Canon 6D). Now comes the problem - where to find an equivalent lenses to Canon EF-S 10-22mm? Prime lens would be nice (I suppose), or wide angle zoom, should work best around 20mm, with good light falloff allowing to use it more open than f/8 with good result. There are many lenses with much lower blur than mine, but I didnt find anything as good in terms of geometric distortion available for full frame.

Does anybody experienced has a tip?

18 REPLIES 18

Tommy Boy there you go again.

"There is little chance of seeing a failure in the zoom, focus, or aperture, mechanisms (the moving parts) of ANY current Canon lens."

This is probably why all the best pros or I mean all the ones that work everyday don't buy them?  Nah, can't be!  I'll bet they were not aware of that but since we got you to set us straight, thank heaven.  I know I do. Smiley Happy

BTW, I think I just heard the last service tech turn off the lights, leave and lock the door of the service center as we speak.  You know I think I saw on Canon Rumors that production of all lenses except STM models was going to cease.  Maybe not!Smiley Wink

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Tommy Boy there you go again.

"There is little chance of seeing a failure in the zoom, focus, or aperture, mechanisms (the moving parts) of ANY current Canon lens."

This is probably why all the best pros or I mean all the ones that work everyday don't buy them?  Nah, can't be!  I'll bet they were not aware of that but since we got you to set us straight, thank heaven.  I know I do. Smiley Happy

BTW, I think I just heard the last service tech turn off the lights, leave and lock the door of the service center as we speak.  You know I think I saw on Canon Rumors that production of all lenses except STM models was going to cease.  Maybe not!Smiley Wink

Fortunately there are places like lensrentals. com that have large samples of lenses that are heavily used. They have shared their repair data, and reliability isn't significantly different between L lenses and Canon's consumer grade lenses. Canon has improved their quality control on all their lenses. 

Lensrentals noted that "several lenses that have been regulars on the list previously not only dropped off, they dropped way off. The Canon 17-55 f/2.8 IS has been a fixture on this list for IS and electrical problems since we started but not only is it gone, its repair rate has dropped to 6%, right around our average. Similarly, the Canon 10-22 EF-S has dropped off the list and now has one of our lowest repair rates."

So again, Eliska, don't let someone try to scare you into spending thousands of dollars when a few hundred will do.

Eliska
Apprentice

Thanks for all the suggestions. I looked into similar option as one of the suggested - Canon 6D + EF 16-35 f/4 IS USM.

I also looked at the others suggesting keeping 50D. The problem with 50D is, that it is owned by my employer, so equiping the camera by different lenses is not a win. In fact, upgrading the gear is a part of a long-term strategy to leave my current employer behind and move to higher level - not because my boss would now appreciate me enough, just the work is not compelling enough any more. I earned some money on a project and spending 2000-3000 is not a problem, but has to be invested well.

About the lens EF16-35 f/4 IS USM, i liked the minimal geometric distorsion around 24 (now i use mostly 22) and reasonably low falloff. I mostly keep the aperture set to f/8 (as recomended due to keeping high focus range), can be set lower in some applicatios, but I dont think i would make much use of f/1.4. The range 16-35 seems quite versatile also to other uses.

So, would be Canon 6D + EF 16-35 f/4 IS USM a good investment, or do you have better suggestions?

@Eliska wrote:

Thanks for all the suggestions. I looked into similar option as one of the suggested - Canon 6D + EF 16-35 f/4 IS USM.

I also looked at the others suggesting keeping 50D. The problem with 50D is, that it is owned by my employer, so equiping the camera by different lenses is not a win. In fact, upgrading the gear is a part of a long-term strategy to leave my current employer behind and move to higher level - not because my boss would now appreciate me enough, just the work is not compelling enough any more. I earned some money on a project and spending 2000-3000 is not a problem, but has to be invested well.

About the lens EF16-35 f/4 IS USM, i liked the minimal geometric distorsion around 24 (now i use mostly 22) and reasonably low falloff. I mostly keep the aperture set to f/8 (as recomended due to keeping high focus range), can be set lower in some applicatios, but I dont think i would make much use of f/1.4. The range 16-35 seems quite versatile also to other uses.

So, would be Canon 6D + EF 16-35 f/4 IS USM a good investment, or do you have better suggestions?

Canon is supposed to announce a replacement to the 6D in the next couple of months. That is based on rumors and it could really be 2 years. When the replacement of the 6D us announced the price may drop on the original. Otherwise given the additional information the Canon 6D and EF 16-35 f/4 IS USM should serve you well. 

@Eliska wrote:

I think your reasoning is sound, but I don't understand your mention of "f/1.4". Is that a typo or a reference to a different lens that you have or are considering? (I have the 16-35 f/4, BTW, and I think it's a fine lens.)

I also agree with Tom's point that this may not be the ideal time to buy a 6D, since the price could fall dramatically if its rumored replacement materializes. But it may in fact be the ideal time to buy a 5D Mark III, since its replacement has already driven its price down. And the last time I looked, they were still being sold new. If you think you'd like the 6D, you'd love the 5D3. It has comparably good low-light performance and a much better autofocus system.

The 50D was a very nice camera in it day. The only beefs I recall having with it were that its on/off switch is in a clumsy location and it lacks an IR receiver.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

I also looked at EF 16-35 f/2.8 and other "faster" lenses, but finally come to the conclusion, it would not give me anything i can particularly use for the job.

However, the D6 II release date puts me in a dilemma - this summer is going to be the busiest season of my life so far. I have already seen the 6d for 1500 by one reseller, although the current amazon price is over 1800.

@Eliska wrote:

I also looked at EF 16-35 f/2.8 and other "faster" lenses, but finally come to the conclusion, it would not give me anything i can particularly use for the job.

However, the D6 II release date puts me in a dilemma - this summer is going to be the busiest season of my life so far. I have already seen the 6d for 1500 by one reseller, although the current amazon price is over 1800.

Yes, for your use you are better off with f/4 and image stabilization than f/2.8.

You can buy a 6D refurbished from Canon direct with a one year warranty for $1200.

"... the D6 II release date puts me in a dilemma - this summer is going to be the busiest season of my life..."

If you need it now, buy it now.  It is silly to plane your life around whether Canon will or will not and when/if release a new model.  The current 6D will still be a 6D even after an inevitable replacement arrives.  This is the biggest difference between amateurs and photographers who are in business.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Mitsubishiman
Rising Star
Hello I am a professional land surveyor, kudos to you...
Everyone has given you excellent advice, if budget is a primary consideration then definitely the EF-S, if you are looking for more, I have the 16-35 f2.8L III, an extremely remarkable lens on my 7D and 5DsR
All that being said, if the conditions and regulations permit it, start looking into a drone for the type of work you are doing on the exterior above shots, the hover mode may be what you are looking for, the sacrifice in megapixel count will be better than hit and miss of hand held in precarious situations.
Announcements