cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie looking for body and lens recommendations to use in motorsports/automotive shoots

hoosierdaddy
Contributor
Hello all! New to the Canon Community. I've been a hobbyist for a few years with prior experience starting with the A2 and Elan film bodies. In addition to the film bodies I also have a Rebel XT (circa 2003-2005). I took some time away from Canon, and have been relying on my smartphone's (8MP) camera for the last several years. I write an automotive lifestyle blog, travel for motorsports as well as club events, and go any other car event close to me. Looking to get more serious about my product/results, and would like to hear recommendations for a body, and the 1-2 must have lenses as well as any other gear that would be useful for car shoots and motorsports. I still have four lenses: 28-105mm, 85mm, 100mm macro, and 75-300mm ultrasonic lenses from my film days. My thought for the first lens is the 24-70mm II f/2.8 USM for the utility role. Any advice would be most appreciated, and thanks in advance
18 REPLIES 18

cicopo
Elite

When talking motorsports how close will you be usually & how fast are the vehicles? Do you have a budget & are you looking for a high FPS rate? Static photos don't require the same gear fast moving vehicles might but a better body can do static as well as high speed stuff.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

Currently going to track days, autocross events, and club trials so the speeds are between 40-100mph. I have access for those tracks/venues. I'd like to ensure growth within the system so I'm able to shoot the speeds of IMSA or IndyCar in 1-2 years. Went to the 12 Hours of Sebring this year, and was really disappointed with my results. The budget is fixed at $2.5K or less for the body. No idea about the lenses, but if I were to use all $2.5K on the body I could only spring for $1K on a lens to start off with. Not sure what the useful life of a body is anymore, and was always of the understanding it's better to buy the best glass than spend all on a body. Not sure if that's true anymore. I'd like fast write ability, full frame (unless it doesn't matter), solid processors, and dual card slots. That's what I think I need. Additionally would like the body/lens combo to be versatile enough for track shots, pit/garage shots, and general car shoots until I can spring for a long telephoto lens. I just can spring for too much yet, just a solid kit to get started with a recommended shopping list of lenses to add as I can afford it.

Obviously your in the US (I'm in Canada) where prices are lower PLUS you have Canon Refurbs available & they should be considered . Although it may be due for a replacement soon the 7D2 is up to the job & will still do it for some time to come. Not quite sure what to recommend for that super versatile lens because the one I use doesn't fit the budget, even as a used purchase. My flight line lens is the 28-300 L IS & it would do motorsports well too but it's HEAVY too. This is what I shoot these days but I have a background in the Muscle Car restoration field & drag racing, car shows etc. See. 

http://community.usa.canon.com/t5/Share-Your-Photos/How-I-spend-most-summer-weekends-R-C-event-photo...

The 2 bodies I rely on are the 1D mark 4 and 7D mark 2 & both are very worthy. I do not miss shots that I feel are because of my gear. When I miss it's because I couldn't keep it in the viewfider & be smooth as I shot.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

hoosierdaddy
Contributor
Thanks for the excellent recommendation on the camera bodies, I appreciate it! And I am in the US. I figured one lens would just be a start, and I'm open to renting those long telephoto lenses for races or specific use. I'd been looking at the 5D MK III and 7D MKII. I like the fact that both can also do HD video. I'll check out your link. I grew up going to demo derbies, figure eights, and the drag strip. Nice to connect with another gear head on here!

@hoosierdaddy wrote:
Thanks for the excellent recommendation on the camera bodies, I appreciate it! And I am in the US. I figured one lens would just be a start, and I'm open to renting those long telephoto lenses for races or specific use. I'd been looking at the 5D MK III and 7D MKII. I like the fact that both can also do HD video. I'll check out your link. I grew up going to demo derbies, figure eights, and the drag strip. Nice to connect with another gear head on here!

The 7D Mk II is your camera of choice.

As far as lenses go do NOT get the 24-70 it is not a good match for an APS-C camera like the 7D Mk II.

I'd look at the EF 70-200 l IS II or if that is out of your price range the EF-S 55-250 IS STM is an increadible value and works well for autocross.

I don't have any of my photos with me they are in FL and I've evacuated due to Irma. But, here is a picture of me by Kevin Lanterman.

34714632020_d9610d0e1f_o.jpg

My buddy had one of those Honda coupes and I drove it. Very nice.  I hear they are going to start making it again. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

TT your sample is good but in general we try to show some motion blur in Motorsports with a few exceptions. The one venue where freezing everything in the frame seems to be standard practice is Motocross. There's usually lots of stuff in the frame to imply speed but when it's cars racing around the track & you're shooting from the side freezing the frame changes what we percieve is going on. This first sample shows a Mustang parked on the track but in actual fact it's at full speed. I was using a very high shutter speed testing camera / lenses AF systems for vintage races the following week. I wanted to know which combos could track the cars at full speed & believe it or not even the original Sigma 18-200 did fine.

IMG_0868 copy.jpg

These are what are considered correct for the venue, background, wheels & tires blurred but the car & driver in focus. Finding the right shutter speed range determines just how much background blur & too slow along with a busy background can result in a shot that draws your eye away from the subject which isn't good. This photo is just on the edge of acceptable due to the corner worker. Your eye isn't 100% sure where the main subject is. The second sample is the desired effect. 

INGR2836 copy.jpg

INGR2857 copy.jpg

@cicopo wrote:

TT your sample is good but in general we try to show some motion blur in Motorsports with a few exceptions. 

I agree. But, if you had read my post you would have realized that the photo was not posted to illustrate either specific gear or photographic technique. But, was a photo by another photographer, of me and my car participating in autocross, nothing more.

I did read the post but missed that you were the driver rather than the photographer. It happens. 

Announcements