New 70-200's In the Hopper Nearing Announcement & Release

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Still a rumor, but interesting nonetheless:

http://www.canonrumors.com/a-new-ef-70-200mm-is-coming-in-2018-cr3/

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

19 REPLIES 19

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Well, I'll believe it when I see it.  Brand-N did upgrade their 70-200mil recently but the first one was so bad it really need it.  The Canon doesn't need it!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Well, I'll believe it when I see it.  Brand-N did upgrade their 70-200mil recently but the first one was so bad it really need it.  The Canon doesn't need it!

The only thing I can think that the EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS II might need upgrading is to work as well with Teleconverters as the EF 100-400mm L IS II does.

@TTMartin wrote:

@ebiggs1 wrote:

The only thing I can think that the EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS II might need upgrading is to work as well with Teleconverters as the EF 100-400mm L IS II does.

I guess I don't see how the situations are comparable. The 70-200 is a constant-aperture zoom lens (and therefore doesn't have a problem with teleconverters at the long end), while the 100-400 isn't (and therefore conceivably does). What am I missing?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

The current version is so fantastic.  

My guess is the new one will gain a coating on an element or slightly better IS or more aperture blades or something minor to claim an upgrade, but mostly it will be designed for it to be cheaper for Canon to manufacture.  

Plus just christening a version 3 allows the price which has fallen to $1,600 to be reset at $2,800 or so. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@TTMartin wrote:

@ebiggs1 wrote:

I guess I don't see how the situations are comparable. The 70-200 is a constant-aperture zoom lens (and therefore doesn't have a problem with teleconverters at the long end), while the 100-400 isn't (and therefore conceivably does). What am I missing?

Correct me if I am wrong, but Canon teleconverters are not compatible with lenses that have focal lengths less than 100mm, if not more.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@TTMartin wrote:

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Correct me if I am wrong, but Canon teleconverters are not compatible with lenses that have focal lengths less than 100mm, if not more.

The 1.4x III works fine on my 70-200 f/2.8L IS II.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

"The 1.4x III works fine on my 70-200 f/2.8L IS II."

It is one of a very few lenses I can recommend or even tolerate the use of a tel-con.  It works so what can I say?  IQ loss is just one consideration when deciding to use a tel-con.  I much prtefer native FL to a tel-con on any lens.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

“The 1.4x III works fine on my 70-200 f/2.8L IS II.”

I have never thought about trying that.  It probably works because of the constant f/2.8 aperture.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

“The 1.4x III works fine on my 70-200 f/2.8L IS II.”

I have never thought about trying that.  It probably works because of the constant f/2.8 aperture.

I actually have and it worked fine with both the 1.4 and 2.0 MkIII extenders.

DP Review showed this post recently:

https://www.dpreview.com/news/1190653250/report-canon-to-release-new-70-200mm-f4l-and-f2-8l-lenses-n...

I have the 70-200 MkII, It will be interesting to see what exactly they do to this excellent lens...

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
Announcements