Canon Community Canon Community

Respected Contributor

Re: NEW: EF-S 35mm f/2.8 Macro IS STM

No, if that was the case, there would be no macro flashes.

VIP

"...there would be no macro flashes."

??????? Smiley Frustrated  

A lot of Canon stuff. Along with, a lot of other stuff.
Respected Contributor

The extremely close working distance is not the only reason to have the macro lights, almost any macro lens can benefit from them as the existence of macro flashes attest.

Esteemed Contributor

kvbarkley wrote:

No, if that was the case, there would be no macro flashes.

Then macro flashes are needed because they exist? That's known as "the fallacy of affirming the antecedent".

The closer you are to the subject, the more useful a macro flash is. But that's because the closer you are, the harder it is to use any other kind of flash effectively.

BTW, does the new lens have macro flashes? As I read it, its lights are continuous LEDs.

Bob
Boston, Massachusetts USA
Respected Contributor

They are Macro Lights.

VIP

I sold my ef 100mm macro in favor of the ef 180mm macro just because it increased the working distance.  The Ef 180mil is a fantastic lens whether you do macro or not.

Honored Contributor

ebiggs1 wrote:

I sold my ef 100mm macro in favor of the ef 180mm macro just because it increased the working distance.  The Ef 180mil is a fantastic lens whether you do macro or not.

It probably is.  I think this lens has the potential to be a very good lens with STM focusing and IS.  Not sure what benefit the IS serves on this lens, though.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't rent software. I use Photoshop CS6, ACR 9.8 and Lightroom 6.8 ."
VIP

What I was suggesting was the close working distance opposed to the longer focal length macros.  This new 35mil may be a nice lens but certainly a pain to use as a macro.

Honored Contributor

ebiggs1 wrote:

What I was suggesting was the close working distance opposed to the longer focal length macros.  This new 35mil may be a nice lens but certainly a pain to use as a macro.

I've been pretty clear about the fact that it being a macro lens is not the reason I like it.  I think it will make a pretty good prime.  Not very fast, but fast enough for tourist mode.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't rent software. I use Photoshop CS6, ACR 9.8 and Lightroom 6.8 ."
VIP

Maybe it was me that wasn't "clear" but..........."It's wide.  It's fast.  It has IS.  Plus, it's a macro capable of life size reproduction."

I must have not understood the first post.  Smiley Frustrated