cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEW: EF-S 35mm f/2.8 Macro IS STM

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

This lens sounds like it has potential to become a big hit for users of EF-S lenses.  It's wide.  It's fast.  It has IS.  Plus, it's a macro capable of life size reproduction.

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/ef-s-35mm-f28-macro-is-stm-lens

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
45 REPLIES 45

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I'm just trying to figure out the "why"?  WIth all the lenses Canon could spend time on developing?  It is not fast for a 35mm.  You have to be too close for a macro. If you have to do something in this vein why not update the EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM Lens.  Not interested.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

The only thing it brings to the party are the built in macro lights. I think this is actually the first foodie lens!

@kvbarkley wrote:

The only thing it brings to the party are the built in macro lights. I think this is actually the first foodie lens!

But to continue Ernie's point, the reason the macro lights are needed is that you have to get so close, right?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

No, if that was the case, there would be no macro flashes.

"...there would be no macro flashes."

??????? Smiley Frustrated  

EB

The extremely close working distance is not the only reason to have the macro lights, almost any macro lens can benefit from them as the existence of macro flashes attest.

@kvbarkley wrote:

No, if that was the case, there would be no macro flashes.

Then macro flashes are needed because they exist? That's known as "the fallacy of affirming the antecedent".

The closer you are to the subject, the more useful a macro flash is. But that's because the closer you are, the harder it is to use any other kind of flash effectively.

BTW, does the new lens have macro flashes? As I read it, its lights are continuous LEDs.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

They are Macro Lights.

I sold my ef 100mm macro in favor of the ef 180mm macro just because it increased the working distance.  The Ef 180mil is a fantastic lens whether you do macro or not.

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

I sold my ef 100mm macro in favor of the ef 180mm macro just because it increased the working distance.  The Ef 180mil is a fantastic lens whether you do macro or not.

It probably is.  I think this lens has the potential to be a very good lens with STM focusing and IS.  Not sure what benefit the IS serves on this lens, though.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements