cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mount for Vivitar FD lenses

prash2k01
Apprentice

Recently got the Vivitar FD lenses of canon T70 (of year 1984 ) and wants to use them with new technology DSLR's so looking for mounts for them.

Please help/share links of mounts which can be used them OR if they can be used any of new Canon directly.

Thanks in advance.

IMG-20170406-WA0015.jpg

IMG-20170406-WA0014.jpg

IMG-20170406-WA0013.jpg

IMG-20170406-WA0012.jpg

IMG-20170406-WA0011.jpg

IMG-20170406-WA0010.jpg

IMG-20170406-WA0009.jpg

IMG-20170406-WA0008.jpg

IMG-20170406-WA0007.jpg

IMG-20170406-WA0004.jpg

IMG-20170406-WA0006.jpg

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

@kvbarkley wrote:

Don't bother. It is not worth the expense or the time.

But google FD to EF mount adapter if you really want to.

He's right.  It is not worth the time or the cost.  Those old lenses will give you disappointing results.  Modern "digital" lenses are an entire order of magnitude sharper than the old "film" lenses.  Manufacturing today is far more precise.

Another major difference between "film" and "digital" lenses are the anti-reflective coatings that are used in digital lenses.  Unlike film, image sensor assemblies can reflect light back up into the lens.  This can cause "fogging" and other types of light distortion.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Both above posts are spot on. It isn't worth a second spent on them.  Let alone any money.  Plus you have picked a particularly poor lens to boot.

However, it can be justified to do this on certain very limited selection of FD lenses but certainly not the one you want to.  The FD 800mm f5.6 for instance.

$_58.JPG

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

"...but I am  on budget and as a beginner..."

All the more of a reason to not try and do this.  It is a bad idea all the way around. Smiley Sad

However, knowing you will most likely not heed the advice from several of us, the Ed Mika adapter is the best. I have tried a lot of the so-called adapters and wasted a lot of time and money but you do as you see fit.  You will have to google Ed Mika adapters as the moderators will not allow me to show you.

EB

8 REPLIES 8

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

@kvbarkley wrote:

He's right.  It is not worth the time or the cost.  Those old lenses will give you disappointing results.  Modern "digital" lenses are an entire order of magnitude sharper than the old "film" lenses.  Manufacturing today is far more precise.

Another major difference between "film" and "digital" lenses are the anti-reflective coatings that are used in digital lenses.  Unlike film, image sensor assemblies can reflect light back up into the lens.  This can cause "fogging" and other types of light distortion.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thanks a lot for your valuable time and help.

Agree and had in mind that it would not be worth to spend more on these lenses but I am  on budget and as a beginner I want to use them as of now.

as suggested I have seen few of them on amazon, price difference a lot so could you please suggest or share the perfect fit for me.

image.png

I am not willing to give any advice. As you you can tell, we have little experience with them.

"...but I am  on budget and as a beginner..."

All the more of a reason to not try and do this.  It is a bad idea all the way around. Smiley Sad

However, knowing you will most likely not heed the advice from several of us, the Ed Mika adapter is the best. I have tried a lot of the so-called adapters and wasted a lot of time and money but you do as you see fit.  You will have to google Ed Mika adapters as the moderators will not allow me to show you.

EB

You may want to research Ebay for Ed Mikka adapters. 

His adapters are for Canon FD lens. You modify the back of the lens and replace the FD mount with EF mount adapter.

They were selling for about $75.00 each.

You can visit Youtube on how easy it is to change mounts. 

Most Important, there is no cheap piece of glass used because Ed Mikka has made his adapter the exact distance necessary for focusing the entire lens design. 

"They were selling for about $75.00 each."

$7.50 or even $.75 is too much too waste on this conversion.  I would have gone further and said $.07 cents is too much but I thought that might be redundant !

EB

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Both above posts are spot on. It isn't worth a second spent on them.  Let alone any money.  Plus you have picked a particularly poor lens to boot.

However, it can be justified to do this on certain very limited selection of FD lenses but certainly not the one you want to.  The FD 800mm f5.6 for instance.

$_58.JPG

EB
Announcements