cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Manual focus on 70-200mm MkII

skybluekid
Apprentice

Excuse my ignorance....

I have a 70-200mm MkII lens, and it works superbly as you would expect. When trying it on a new 1DX MkII, I wanted to focus manually on something, so I switched the button to 'M' Manual on the lens. It seems the focus ring doesn't move....and I have tried on and off two different cameras, and it still won't move.

The lens focus' fine on automatic but will not let me turn the focus ring to manually focus.

I'm certain it's something simple, but I'm all out of ideas....Can some kind soul please help me 😞

Thanks in Advance

4 REPLIES 4

diverhank
Authority

@skybluekid wrote:

Excuse my ignorance....

...The lens focus' fine on automatic but will not let me turn the focus ring to manually focus.

I'm certain it's something simple, but I'm all out of ideas....Can some kind soul please help me 😞

Thanks in Advance

Hmmm...something is wrong then.  There is no lock button or anything that would prevent the focus ring to move that I know of...

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

I've not done much manual focusing with mine. 

There is a focus limiter switch that prevents the camera from focusing on distractions that pass in front of the camera while you are shooting something far away.  No idea if this does anything weird or anything at all in manual focus though.  Maybe try making sure the focus limiter is not in the limited position and focus far away before flipping the MF switch. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@skybluekid wrote:

Excuse my ignorance....

I have a 70-200mm MkII lens, and it works superbly as you would expect. When trying it on a new 1DX MkII, I wanted to focus manually on something, so I switched the button to 'M' Manual on the lens. It seems the focus ring doesn't move....and I have tried on and off two different cameras, and it still won't move.

The lens focus' fine on automatic but will not let me turn the focus ring to manually focus.

Thanks in Advance

The focus ring should always move, even when it is not mounted to a camera.  Contact Canon Support.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

skybluekid
Apprentice
Information
My Canon 70-200mm lens manual focus ring wouldn’t turn, so couldn’t manually focus, although auto focus worked fine. The focussing ring felt as though it was locked, and had as little as 1mm play either way.

Canon CPS advised me to send it in for repair.

The Flash Centre in Leeds, United Kingdom had other ideas and pulled back the rubber on the focussing ring to expose a small screw that had worked itself loose. After tightening it, it fixed the problem, and saved me about £200.....
Announcements