cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

18-55mm IS II lens won't focus in manual or auto

Gerard96
Apprentice

My canon 18-55mm IS II lens has recently stopped working after a month. Focus ring will still move in auto but doesnt get close to the image being in focus. When the lens is in manual moving the focus ring does almost nothing at all. If the object is maybe 4 inches away the camera is able to focus onto it but anything further causes problems. I have tried taking picture outside while the sun is high with the same issues.

5 REPLIES 5

@Gerard96 wrote:

My canon 18-55mm IS II lens has recently stopped working after a month. Focus ring will still move in auto but doesnt get close to the image being in focus. When the lens is in manual moving the focus ring does almost nothing at all. If the object is maybe 4 inches away the camera is able to focus onto it but anything further causes problems. I have tried taking picture outside while the sun is high with the same issues.

It sounds as though the focus motor may have gotten jammed. This can happen if you manually rotate the focus ring while the lens is in autofocus mode. Canon's cheaper lenses are not designed to be used that way, and doing so can damage the lens. Sometimes this damage can be corrected and sometimes not. The process is described in two or three threads in the forum and should be followed carefully. It reads like a cure that's worse than the disease, but it has enabled some users to save their lenses.

If the prescribed fix doesn't work, you'll probably need a new lens. Repairing a cheap kit lens usually costs more than a replacement would.

OTOH, if it's an "STM" lens, it could just be that the camera's battery is weak. STM lenses use electric focusing, even in manual mode, and depend on the camera's battery for power. If it is an STM lens, it should say so on the lens itself.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Voutyras
Apprentice
I have the same problem. Which fix thread are you referring to? If it’s the one where you take the lense off, set in mf, then twist to both ends, I tried that. No click and still won’t focu in manual or auto. Anything that can be done? Thx

Try this.....................

Take the lens off of your camera.

Put the lens in MF mode.

Twist the FOCUS ring (the tip of the lens) all the way to one side (extend it). You may hear a click noise or two, this is good, but don't FORCE the lens.

Twist the FOCUS ring all the way to the opposite side (retract it). Again, you may hear a couple of clicking noises. What we hope is happening is the focusing motor being put back into its proper place.

Put the lens back on the camera.

Put the lens in AF mode.

Turn the camera on.

Put the camera in AUTO or P mode.

Take a test photo.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Paulshlammi
Apprentice

Halo, I have tried that with my canon 2000d but there is no sound while twisting it and still not working on MF or AF

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

It could actually be broken.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements