cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lens question settled. Got a WA.

ScottyP
Authority

OK. I just bought the 16-35 f/2.8 III at a real life camera store in Cleveland. (No camera stores in Pittsburgh.). Took it straight to the Cleveland zoo, as payback for the family for a nearly 2-hour drive to Cleveland. I was going back and forth between a budget 3rd party lens and this one but I went this way.

I have only viewed my shots through the camera LCD but two impressions so far:

1.). HOLY COW BUT 16MM IS REALLY WIDE! I will really need to get used to that. I've been shooting for 3 years with a 35mm prime as my walk around lens and 16MM is kind of shocking. I wonder a little if I should have gone with a 24-70 instead, but I am thinking the 16MM will be useful for buildings and big bridges in Europe.

2.). The vignetting at 16MM at f/2.8 is really heavy. You can see it even looking at the images on the back of the camera.

While I was there I also also picked up a Streetwalker to carry it all. It was really nice to do business in a real camera store with real staff and it was especially great to be able to try the backpacks on.

I am deleting a duplicate of this post at the end of my original thread. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?
3 REPLIES 3

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

1.  Yes, the view from 16mm on a full frame is quite wide.  It is a great lens to use in tight spaces.

2.  The vignetting is nothing that cannot be corrected in post.  You'll notice barrel distortion, too.

IMG_0026.JPG

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"It was really nice to do business in a real camera store with real staff and it was especially great to be able to try the backpacks on."

There is a lot to be said for this.  Even though I pay a little more at my local real deal camera store I feel it is worth it.  I have been aloowed to try out lenses on my cameras, try on stuff, etc, nice, very nice.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

The 16-35 f/2.8 II is a fantastic lens.  I can only imagine the 16-35 f/2.8 III is better.  The 24-70mm f2,8L lives on my Ds3 and the 16-35 f/2.8 II lives on my 1D4.  On the 16-35 f/2.8 II, I have not noticed impossible vignetting, a little but not much.

I do lens correction on every single photo I import in to LR.  That may be why I don't see it.  You should do that as well.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements