cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lens is fogging up, not working.

Noah_Wachnik
Contributor

I have a Canon t3 and when I came back from outside the lens turned extremly foggy. I checked the internal lens, and the external and both seemed not foggy, but when I turned it on again it was still foggy. Even right now it is still foggy, help???

7 REPLIES 7

ScottyP
Authority

It was cold outside so the glass did in fact fog up when you came in. 

You can minimize that by taking a couple of large airtight bags out with you.  Before you come back in put camera in one, lens in the other and push the air out before sealing. This will minimize the amount of moist air available to make condensation on the cold glass. Leave in bags an hour or more in a warm place until they warm up. 

If you do nothing the camera will just warm up and the condensation will evaporate, but if you do that frequently and water spends a lot of time in the lens you can get fungus growing on the internal glass elements and you can't get rid of that. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

Worked, I did some rice instead thank you!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

One of two, 1st the lens is a not a Canon lens and 2nd if it is, it has lost its seal.  If it indeed has lost its seal you may never get the moisture out. Call Canon service.

If it is not a Canon lens, you get what you get!  Who knows?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs1 wrote:

One of two, 1st the lens is a not a Canon lens and 2nd if it is, it has lost its seal.  If it indeed has lost its seal you may never get the moisture out. Call Canon service.

If it is not a Canon lens, you get what you get!  Who knows?

"Lost its seal"? Since when is the kit lens on a T3 sealed against air leakage?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Robert do you not have better things to do except read a post with a magnifying glass?  Sealed as in terms of keeping moisture out.  Not as scuba gear, need I say that to clarify, too?  This lens obviously got water inside. 

It probably needs disassembly and reassembly. That needs to be done by Canon.

"Air", who mentioned air?

EB

ebiggs1 wrote:

Robert do you not have better things to do except read a post with a magnifying glass?  Sealed as in terms of keeping moisture out.  Not as scuba gear, need I say that to clarify, too?  This lens obviously got water inside. 

It probably needs disassembly and reassembly. That needs to be done by Canon.

"Air", who mentioned air?

Air (in particular, humid air) is what brings the water in. Fogging occurs when the lens gets cold and the water condenses out on the glass elements. You knew that. Haven't I seen you write about that very process?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

"You knew that."

Gee, I believe you are right.

"Haven't I seen you write about that very process?"

Quite possible.

EB
Announcements