cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lens for plane spotting?

Anthony2412
Contributor

What is a afordable and good lens for plane spotting photography?

15 REPLIES 15

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

If you mean non-air show spotting, the Sigma 150-600 sport gives you the best reach and autofocus speed. I had pretty good luck with my 150-600 TAMRON at a thunderbirds show.

I was at an airshow last week and my 18-135 was more than long enough for my APS-C. I put my 70-300 away.

There are multiple meanings to the term "plane spotting" so we need to know whether you mean around an airport etc or for those flying at altitude. It's also important to know whether you are using a crop body or a full frame body. Prices are also different in different countries. I'm in Canada & we pay much more than those in the US but less than in Europe etc.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

Anthony2412
Contributor
Oh i am sorry i mean planes taking off and landing not at high altitudes.

Anthony2412
Contributor
And i have a full crop body

Anthony2412
Contributor
Sorry i mean full frame.

One of the most popular air show lenses has been the 100-400 but the newer version isn't a budget lens. The older one was a push / pull while the newer one is a twist to zoom. Sigma has recently put a 100-400 on the market which seems to be a decent lens at roughly 1/3 the price of the Canon. You may be able to get by using one of the various 70-300's out there & in most cases the more you spend the better the AF speed will be along with better image stabilization & sharpness. IS is very useful with the slower shutter speeds you should use when shooting prop planes.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"What is a afordable..."

Yes, what is "affordable"?  Then add, "...and good lens..."?  IMHO, no kit lens fits both limiters.  Affordable, yes.  Good, not so much.

Again, IMHO, the choices are one of the Sigma/Tamron 150-600mm offerings or the new ef 100-400mm II.

I have not tried the new Sigma 100-400mm offering and I likely will not.  I see no good reason the give up my 500 to 600mm advantage in focal length.  The new Siggy may be a nice lens, IDK.

Remember as zoom ratios increase IQ suffers.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Lens IQ won't be as important as learning how to pan smoothly.

Anthony2412
Contributor
Ok I now am planning on getting a 17-300 stm lens its a good price
Announcements