cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lens for Polar Bear

jacky8087
Contributor

I am going to a cruise tour to Arctic Circle for polar bear but I dont know how far will they gonna be, the guidance suggests to bring 10x to 25x binoculars. And I just realized I dont have any long focal length lens for my 6D mark I. My original thought was to buy a canon 100-400mm II paired with the extender 2x, but after I did research found out that this combination is not practical.

I would like some sugguestions for new lens and probably extender, also is the tripod necessary as I never use these large lens before?

Thanks in advanced.

25 REPLIES 25

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

I suggest the Sigma (or Tamron) 150-600 mm. They usually get good reviews around here.

Where exactly will you be going. If it's Churchill Manitoba you may bew able to fill your viewfinder with a 24-105. The bears there are just about everywhere from what I've seen in my grandson's photos. If however you want a great long lens the Canon 100-400 plus a 1.4 TC gets very good reviews or as suggested the Sigma 150-600 C is another option & both of these can be hand held but a monopod is a very good idea since they are light & compact.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Either one, a Tamron or Sigma 150-600mm super zoom is the way to go.  Here is a rule of thumb, 100mm is roughly 2x power.

So, you would have a 3x to 12x telephoto with either of these. I have all three versions of these super zooms and I prefer the Sigma S but keep in mind it is very heavy.  The "C model and the Tamron G2 are totally usable by anybody.  Again personally I don't like tele-cons as I prefer native FL.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thank you for your advice I think I would use 150-600mm, is the autofocus going to work on my 6DmkI with this lens?

@jacky8087 wrote:
Thank you for your advice I think I would use 150-600mm, is the autofocus going to work on my 6DmkI with this lens?

It should.  I don't think you'll have any problems.

Stay safe ... you want to be lunch for a hungry bear.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

HAHA I will. Do you think tripod is necessary? if so which one should I have?
Now I have Manfrotto befree.

Autofocus will work fine on a relatively slow moving bear. A tripod might be too cumbersome for a moving bear. which is why we suggested monopods or gimbal/monopod above.

@jacky8087 wrote:
HAHA I will. Do you think tripod is necessary? if so which one should I have?
Now I have Manfrotto befree.

Not enough tripod for shooting wildlife with a super telepphoto lens, IMHO.  It could work if you do not raise the center column.  That lens and camera combo would be top heavy with the center column fully extended.  It will almost certainly topple once you start moving the camera/lens [ 6D & 150-600 ] around. 

A tripod is good for when you are relatively stationary, and not moving around much.  Not unless you will be setting yourself up in a blind somewhere, use a monopod and high quality tilt head.  A ball head won’t work well on a monopod, and you pan by turning the monopod.  I recommend the Kirk MPA-2 head because of its’ strength and friction control.

One additional thing to consider are the elements.  Take along at least two rain/weather covers, a primary and a backup.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements