cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lens filter for EF 50mm 1:1.4 lens?

AlyssaHuberFilm
Apprentice

Every time I shoot (video mode) with a 58mm lens filter of any type on my EF 50mm 1:1.4 lens, there is a noticable reflection in view. But I can't shoot without a filter (I always use polarized) because I can't get them to look that good in an editing program. My whites are too bright in outdoor shooting, and the only way I can see the sky is if I make the rest of the scene too dark. A polarizing filter seems to be the only thing that fixes that.

Are there any other filters or accessories I can use instead of the 58mm filters? I know it'd look better if the filter was closer to the lens since the lens is sort of concave... would smaller filters fit?

Or better yet, is there a way to balance my lighting & color in outdoor settings that doesn't require a filter?

I've already tried changing the ISO, exposure, etc. and the white balance. Still no luck.

(My camera is a Canon EOS Rebel T2i with an EF 50mm 1:1.4 lens, shooting in video mode.)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

This was the first thought that came to mind... the filter needs quality anti-reflective coatings.  You might want to look at a B+W brand circular polarizing filter with their "MRC" coatings.  (It wont be cheap).

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Are you using a lens hood?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

Are you using a lens hood?

Nope, I don't own one. My biggest issue is that my whites are too bright compared to the darks, and I can't seem to fix that without a filter.

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@AlyssaHuberFilm wrote:

Every time I shoot with a 50mm lens filter of any type on my EF 50mm 1:1.4 lens, there is a noticable reflection in view. But I can't shoot without a filter (I always use polarized) without my shots looking overexposed or washed out.

Is there any other filters or accessories I can use instead of the 50mm filters? I know it'd look better if the filter was closer to the lens since the lens is sort of concave... would smaller filters fit?

Your EF 50mm f/1.4 USM uses a 58mm filter, not a 50mm filter. Filters should screw on to the front of the lens.

Your statement about requiring a polarizing filter so your shots are not overexposed or washed out indicates a user problem, as that is not normal.

Try taking a photo without any filter in 'green square mode', that takes out most of the 'user settings'. Are the photos in 'green square mode' overexposed and washed out? If not, you need to figure out what user setting you have that is messed up. 

@TTMartin wrote:

@AlyssaHuberFilm wrote:

Every time I shoot with a 50mm lens filter of any type on my EF 50mm 1:1.4 lens, there is a noticable reflection in view. But I can't shoot without a filter (I always use polarized) without my shots looking overexposed or washed out.

Is there any other filters or accessories I can use instead of the 50mm filters? I know it'd look better if the filter was closer to the lens since the lens is sort of concave... would smaller filters fit?

Your EF 50mm f/1.4 USM uses a 58mm filter, not a 50mm filter. Filters should screw on to the front of the lens.

Your statement about requiring a polarizing filter so your shots are not overexposed or washed out indicates a user problem, as that is not normal.

Try taking a photo without any filter in 'green square mode', that takes out most of the 'user settings'. Are the photos in 'green square mode' overexposed and washed out? If not, you need to figure out what user setting you have that is messed up. 

My bad, I actually have a 58mm lens filter. It fits perfectly but there is still the reflection issue. I edited my post because I didn't explain very well what my shooting issue is. It's mainly that my highlights are too bright and I can't see the sky without darkening everything else too much.

I should have also mentioned that I'm in video shooting mode. I only use it for video so I'm not sure what you mean by "green square mode."

Photographing outdoors in the noonday sun should be the easiest thing to do, assuming you are taking "normal" photographs of people or scenery.

We need more info of exactly what you are doing. Can you post screen shots.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

AlyssaHuberFilm wrote:

My bad, I actually have a 58mm lens filter. It fits perfectly but there is still the reflection issue. I edited my post because I didn't explain very well what my shooting issue is. It's mainly that my highlights are too bright and I can't see the sky without darkening everything else too much.

I should have also mentioned that I'm in video shooting mode. I only use it for video so I'm not sure what you mean by "green square mode."

What are your exact settings when shooting video? 

First you need a lenshood.

Second you need to be sure you are using a quality filter. A quality 58mm Circular Polarizing filter costs between $45 and $60. If you paid less than $45 for your filter it most likely lacks the coatings need to prevent reflections. Look at a B+W filter with Multi Resistant Coating (MCR) or better yet B+W's Multi-Resistant Nano Coating.

Highlight Tone Priority (HTP) and Auto Lighting Optimizer (ALO) are two camera settings that will help bring up the shadows in high contrast scenes.

This was the first thought that came to mind... the filter needs quality anti-reflective coatings.  You might want to look at a B+W brand circular polarizing filter with their "MRC" coatings.  (It wont be cheap).

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

@TCampbell wrote:

Thank you, I have purchased an MRC polarizing filter as you recommended, and there is no more reflection!

A lens hood is still highly recommended. My preference is for a collapsible hood that I leave on full time. 

If you were getting reflections on the glass filter, then the sun is hitting the front of the lens. Try this, take a shot normally, in the bright sun. Then hold a piece of regular, kraft (brown) cardboard over top of the end of the lens to shade it. Check the quality of the two shots. If there is any washed out areas or reflections in the first shot then get that lens hood.

If they are both washed out, bluish tint, way over contrasted, or whatever, check your WB (white balance). Put it on auto. That satisfies 99% of people. To be more exact before each shot, you could manually set it each time to the ambient environment. I leave mine on auto as I don't want to have to take several minutes setting up a shot. 

If your shots still seem over or under exposed, and often a second opinion helps on subjective observations, then adjust your exposure. Try it in half step increments with a variety of shots for each step until you are happy. Remember that there is your eye, the computer's monitor, the ambient light, and the viewer's subjective interpretation. They can all help influence what is or isn't a decent exposure. And, while photographers like to be perfect and create perfect shots, viewers are much more lenient in their judgement.

Announcements