cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lens filter for EF 50mm 1:1.4 lens?

AlyssaHuberFilm
Apprentice

Every time I shoot (video mode) with a 58mm lens filter of any type on my EF 50mm 1:1.4 lens, there is a noticable reflection in view. But I can't shoot without a filter (I always use polarized) because I can't get them to look that good in an editing program. My whites are too bright in outdoor shooting, and the only way I can see the sky is if I make the rest of the scene too dark. A polarizing filter seems to be the only thing that fixes that.

Are there any other filters or accessories I can use instead of the 58mm filters? I know it'd look better if the filter was closer to the lens since the lens is sort of concave... would smaller filters fit?

Or better yet, is there a way to balance my lighting & color in outdoor settings that doesn't require a filter?

I've already tried changing the ISO, exposure, etc. and the white balance. Still no luck.

(My camera is a Canon EOS Rebel T2i with an EF 50mm 1:1.4 lens, shooting in video mode.)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

This was the first thought that came to mind... the filter needs quality anti-reflective coatings.  You might want to look at a B+W brand circular polarizing filter with their "MRC" coatings.  (It wont be cheap).

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

What camera?  Reset it to defaults.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements