cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lens Recommendations

ElectricMuppet
Enthusiast

Hello everyone!

I have a Rebel T6I and I currently own three lenses. I own the standard kit lens 18-55mm, the nifty fifty Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM lens and finally a Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 lens. I want to purchase a more serious lens for my kit. I am looking to purchase EF- mounted lenses instead of EF-S mount since I want to eventually upgrade to a full frame when I become more competent in photography. 

I feel my kit is a bit underwhelming and is lacking on some essential lenses. I personally like to get into landscape and nightsky photography the most. I do often get asked to take portaits of my friends as well. so I on occasion take portait photographs. I feel like my kit just doesn't have that "..umpf" ya know? My photography is inept and my kit looks amateurish. I want to improve the most I can! I know to do that I have to get out and shoot! but it feels like my kit is a little lack luster and needs an improvement in that area as well.

I do not make much money so I can't just go out and buy a $2000 lens on whim. I have a little bit of money set a side and I was thinking of purchasing one of these three lenses.

Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Lens

I keep hearing that this is a killer lens. my only qualm is that It's a little on expensive side though. The Canadian dollar is so bad right now that anything that's sold in USD hurts.. my hesitation is that it looks like a more advanced version of a kit lens. (I don't know anything Smiley Tongue) could I benefit from such a expensive lens? is it much sharper than my kit? I know the focal length is different and it has infinity focus.I feel like I should infact take the dive and buy this lens. I've seen some great looking photos taken in a few videos I've watched with the 24-105mm and seen non-stop praise of this lens. I heard it can suffer from some sharpness in some corners or something of the likes? I forget honestly... 

Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L IS USM Lens

I am missing a telephoto lens, instead of buying the cheap alternitives I figure this would be a great fit. This lens is a little bit more expensive and is out of my comfort zone budget wise. But I personally love the photos I've seen taken with this lens. I heard its a really good universial type lens as well. I could get the non IS version which is considerably cheaper. would that be a better choice? I know if I have a lot of light with a higher shutter speed IS wouldn't matter. I just don't know how bad the shake is on a telezoom lens. I also wouldn't mind the f/2.8 version its just.... that price, ouch!

Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Lens

I've seen some very impressive portrait shots with this lens. but I feel like the Canon EF 70-200mm would be a better lens to buy. If I wanted that bokeh that only a 2.8 lens can produce I could just get close and use my nifity fifty right? 

I bought my Rokinon for nightsky photography but I feel like I should've waited and got a better lens for that. My lens doesn't have a AF chip and its full on manual.  from the beginning I decided to shoot entirely in manual mode forcing myself to learn it. but the manual focus has been proving to be a little bit of a challange to get a hang of. I eventually might replace this lens with a better one.

Ultimately I would like to see what you's would recommened. I am still quite new to this and would value any and all advice given. By all means if I am missing a lens you think my kit could use please recommend it. 

7 REPLIES 7

Of the three you ask about, I'd recommend the 24-105. Many of us have it and like it a lot. In most cases it's not the best lens we own, but it's probably the most versatile. It has recently been superseded by a version II model, so you might find it at a good price.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

Of the three you ask about, I'd recommend the 24-105. Many of us have it and like it a lot. In most cases it's not the best lens we own, but it's probably the most versatile. It has recently been superseded by a version II model, so you might find it at a good price.

I agree with Bob.  The EF 24-105 f/4L IS USM is the best choice of the lens you listed.  You can find it at Canon's Online Refurbished Store, which is where I bought mine.  It is a great "first L" lens to own because of its' range of focal lengths.

As far as additional lens purchases go, buy the.lens that you REALLY want.  Don't spend big bucks on a lens because you cannot afford the one you really had your eye one, because you will never really be satisfied with the choice you made.

The Robinson 14mm lenses are actually pretty good, IMHO.  My experience is with the slightly more costly cinema version of the lenses, and I have found them to be excellent.  It is a matter of understanding how lenses work, autofocus or not.

http://www.dofmaster.com/doftable.html

If you are having difficulty using a manual focus lens, just chalk it up to lack of practice and experience.  It used to be that all lenses were manual focus.  But, the camera bodies incorporated focusing screens that assisted you in locking focus.  Such screens are not typically used in today's autofocus DSLR camera bodies.

3D8A0401.Cropped.jpg

If you are not familiar with DOF, depth of field, and hyperfocal distances, then I suggest that you do a web search.  A manual focus ultra-wide angle lens is very easy to use.  I dial in the hyperfocal distance, and shoot away all day.  Everything beyond a few feet from the lens is in focus.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ScottyP
Authority

The 24-70 f/4L is better than the 24-105 and has some quasi "macro" ability.  Look at that.

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Without question the ef 24-105mm f4L is the choice for you.  Sell or give away your kit lens.  You'll never use it again.

The 24-105mm f4 is the best buy in a Canon L.   It is usually the first L anybody buys in your shoes.

It is possible to find this lens offered in a "white box" version.  No difference, same lens, same warranty.  Just a much cheaper price.  You may have to search for it and be a bit lucky but you can find them.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Without question the ef 24-105mm f4L is the choice for you.  Sell or give away your kit lens.  You'll never use it again.

The 24-105mm f4 is the best buy in a Canon L.   It is usually the first L anybody buys in your shoes.

It is possible to find this lens offered in a "whit box" version.  No difference, same lens, same warranty.  Just a much cheaper price.  You may have to search for it and be a bit lucky but you can find them.

I agree about the 24-105mm lens.  The new one is more expensive but from the reviews I have read its improvements over the MkI version are marginal, which means that if you go for the Mark I version you will probably be able to find a bargain.  I have two of them and htey are good lenses CONSIDERING THE FOCAL RANGE THEY HAVE TO COVER.  Yes the 24-70 may be a better lens, but it a much less ambitious range.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

When and if you buy a full frame camera, you can buy it with the EF 24-105 f/4L as part of a kit. You wont find the lens for a better price than as part of a kit, so better to wait and buy it then.

For your type of photography, skip all the lenses on your list and get the one you should have gotten instead of the Rokinon 14mm f/2.8. Get the EF-S 10-18 IS STM. 

Don't worry that someday you'll get a full frame camera. Buy lenses for the camera you have now.

BTW, getting full frame camera does not and will not make you a 'competent' photographer. Learning to get the most out of the gear you have will do that.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

The choice here depends on how are you going to progress.  Is a FF camera in your future?  If it is don't buy any ef-s lenses.

FF cameras can't use them so that is money wasted.  Even if you never get a FF camera all the ef lenses are still usable on any camera.

Lenses are more of a longer term investment because they tend to out last the camera by quite a lot.  The ef lens line, in particularity, the "L" line is much better constructed.  They are intended for day in and day out use.  The ef-s lens line is the amateur line.

It is always wise to keep your gear more equal in quality than not.  A poor lens can make the mighty 1Dx Mk II look terrible.

Personally I stopped buying ef-s lenses years and years ago.  Everything I have now is ef.  There is just no good reason to buy them except cost.

BTW a word about FF cameras.  They are not the end all.  Remember all cameras are FF in a sense.  You get exactly what you see in the view finder.  Full frame.  FF is just a term invented way back to tell the difference between models.  Nothing more!  It is simply one of the several formats available.  Don't get hung up on the hype.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements