cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lens Compatibility newbie

AZRICH24
Apprentice

I'm new to Photography.  We have a Cannon EOS Rebel T3. It came with an efs 18-55 mm lens.

My question is what would be another beginner lenses that would fit? Not too expensive. 

Would the below lense work with my camera?

Canon EF75300III USM Telephoto Zoom Lens for Canon SLR

Cameras

Also would you recommend any  videos online on how to use the camera and settings?

4 REPLIES 4

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

Any EF or EF-S lens will fit your camera but the best telephoto zoom lens for you would be the EF-S 55-250mm IS STM lens. 

It is currently the best value as it has outstanding image quality and can be bought for about $300 new. Buying sceond hand is also a great option and you could probably find one for $150-$200. 

There is also the older EF-S 55-250mm IS or EF-S 55-250mm IS  It is a good lens but not quite as sharp and has an older design, noiser and slower type autofocus motor. (without the "STM" autofocus motor) You could buy one of these second hand for about $75-$100. 

The Canon EF75300III USM Telephoto Zoom you mentioned is not really a good choice. It is a much older design  with no Image Stabilization, and it is not very sharp at 300mm. It is also larger and heavier because it was designed for larger Full Frame cameras. 

EF-S 55-250mm IS STM lens

001stm.jpg

Mike Sowsun

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"We have a Cannon EOS Rebel T3"

I believe and I tell folks it is usually a good idea to keep your camera gear approximately in the same quality level.  In other words I wouldn't use a EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III USM Lens on my 1DX.  Conversely I wouldn't put the $11,000 Canon EF 200-400mm f/4L IS USM on a Rebel T3. 

The EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III Lens is not a bad lens.  It is an entry level 'big' zoom and to keep cost down, it has some compromises.  There is no IS for instance and you will probably need a tripod to get the best from it. The more expensive EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Lens is a better choice.  It does have IS and better IQ.  It is 50mm shorter in FL, though.  Either lens can be a learning tool for greater things to come.

Another choice might be the EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Lens.  Perhaps the  EF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens for a very large zoom range.  All these will work well on your Rebel T3 and keep things more or less in the same level.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

For online info, google videos for the "exposure triangle" and watch A couple of them.  It is the central concept of photography and you need to start there.  The settings will make sense once you are picturing it. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

AZRICH24
Apprentice
Thank you all for your replies and advice. I really appreciate it. 🙂
Announcements