cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lens 4 Documentary Photography Recomendations

BigAppleTV
Apprentice

Hello All,

I am looking to capture better quality photos/videos for work and I am currently using the following. I feel I am missing key lenses and would like a strong professional recommendation from the community on this one.

Current Camera:

(2) Caonon 50D

(1) Canon 7D (1st Gen)

(2) Canon 5D (Mark IV)

Lenses

8-15mm ultrasonic EF 1:4 (Red Stripe)

50mm ultrasonic EF 1:1.4 (Gold Stripe)

70-200mm 1:2.8 L IS USM (Red Stripe)

17-55mm EFS ultrasonic 1:2.8 (Gold Stripe)

I noticed that some of my lenses won't fit the new Canon 5D Mark IV and I would like to use that as my primary and to leave the 7D as my secondary.

Thank you,

Marc

4 REPLIES 4

@BigAppleTV wrote:

Hello All,

I am looking to capture better quality photos/videos for work and I am currently using the following. I feel I am missing key lenses and would like a strong professional recommendation from the community on this one.

Current Camera:

(2) Caonon 50D

(1) Canon 7D (1st Gen)

(2) Canon 5D (Mark IV)

Lenses

8-15mm ultrasonic EF 1:4 (Red Stripe)

50mm ultrasonic EF 1:1.4 (Gold Stripe)

70-200mm 1:2.8 L IS USM (Red Stripe)

17-55mm EFS ultrasonic 1:2.8 (Gold Stripe)

I noticed that some of my lenses won't fit the new Canon 5D Mark IV and I would like to use that as my primary and to leave the 7D as my secondary.

Thank you,

Marc

Then what you need is the EF 24-70mm f/2.8 II USM. It fills the same role on your 5D4 as the 17-55 does on your 7D and 50D. Unlike the 17-55, it doesn't have IS. But at that focal range, you should be fine without it.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

BigAppleTV
Apprentice
Is there a benefit to expanding to a 24-105? I really love the refugee photos or more exotic photos you traditionally see in National Georgraphics.

@BigAppleTV wrote:
Is there a benefit to expanding to a 24-105? I really love the refugee photos or more exotic photos you traditionally see in National Georgraphics.

You have the 70-200, so between that and the 24-70, you'd have the range covered. The 24-105 is an outdoor (because it's a stop slower than the others) "walking around" lens, useful when you can carry only one lens or find it impractical to change lenses at will. If you remain in this wallet-emptying pursuit long enough, you'll eventually accumulate both lenses. Which one you buy first is really a matter of individual requirements and personal preference.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Bob  (from)
Boston, Massachusetts USA ...

... is absolutely right on this one.  The three lenses you need, actually mandatory, for any serious work are the ef 16-35mm f2.8, ef 24-70mm f2.8 and the ef 70-200mm f2.8.

If I was you and woke up this morning in your shoes, this is what I would do.

Current Camera:

(2) Caonon 50D.............................................sell, today.

(1) Canon 7D (1st Gen).................................sell

(2) Canon 5D (Mark IV).................................keep  Smiley Happy

Lenses

8-15mm ultrasonic EF 1:4 (Red Stripe).......................keep for amusement.  Smiley Wink

50mm ultrasonic EF 1:1.4 (Gold Stripe)......................sell

70-200mm 1:2.8 L IS USM (Red Stripe)......................keep

17-55mm EFS ultrasonic 1:2.8 (Gold Stripe)...............sell since you won't have a body it fits.

ef 16-35mm f2.8L III...............................buy today

ef 24-70mm f2.8L II................................buy today Smiley Happy  also the best there is.

Two Mk IV's and those three lenses are a killer combo.  There isn't any gear in the world that will be much better. A truly great bag.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements