cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues with EFS 18-55 IS and Rebel XS

acdii
Contributor

Hi all. I have this camera and lens, bought as a kit way back that also included a 75-300 AF lens.  The 75-300 works perfectly, in fact took some really great long distance shots with it today.

The problem I have is the 18-55 is not auto focusing at times, and when I have the camera in auto mode, in in direct sunlight the flash come up, there is a delay when I take a shot and have to wait until after taking a shot before I can take another. I found that is I rotate the focus ring a bit it will auto focus, but it is not working like it used to.  I havent used the camera much since 2012 (very surprised the batteries have held up), and took the camera out on a trip last year and had this issue crop up, forgot about it when we returned.  Went to use it again and rediscovered the issue.

This is with the auto focus.

IMG_1067.JPG

This is with the telephoto with AF on.

IMG_0976.JPG

14 REPLIES 14

"Besides, even if it does work on another camera, which I doubt, what good is it if the lens does not function on the OPs camera?"

Nothing if you like guessing games.  I don't.

"Conclusion, that lens is probably shot."

Maybe it is, maybe it isn't.  If the lens works on another camera, it is not the lens.  I really have a hard time understanding why you would advise against this simple and free test.  But then again perhaps I do understand!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

If the lens works on another camera, it is not the lens.  

I really have a hard time understanding why you would advise against this simple and free test.  But then again perhaps I do understand!

If another lens works on the camera, then it is not the camera. 

This fact that the problem is not with the camera has already been established.  The focus ring turns freely when the lens is set to AF mode, which should not be the case.  The lens is shot.

There is no good reason not try the lens on another camera, and there is no good reason to try it, either.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Stephen

Hello!

I think you're getting great advice from our Community members, but just so we're all on the same page:

You're shooting in AUTO (green box), and AF, and the flash pops up and your shot is fuzzy. 

When you shoot in AUTO (green box), and MF, the flash still pops up, and your shot might still be fuzzy, but you get to manually focus to correct that.

When you shoot in auto, your flash pops up and strobes on the XS (most Rebels) to help not only with exposure, but with achieving proper focus. If your focus ring is moving freely in AF mode on the EF-S 18-55 IS lens, that's a bad sign. If your lens tries to focus (makes noise) and the focus changes at all, then you might be able to realign the focus mechanism in the lens yourself. 

Put the lens in MF mode. Turn the focusing ring (front ring) all the way to one side until the lens stops, then turn it all the way to the other side. If you get a little resistance, grinding or popping, that's fine, but don't force the lens. Once you've done this, put the lens back in AF and try to take a normal photo again (not a plain white wall or the sky - something with good contrast). If it works, awesome. If not, it's time to start looking at a new lens. 

For the most part this is correct, but when in any other setting, I still have the flash popping up, while with the other lens, it doesn't, which is the confusing part. However as stated, if I switch to MF, turn the ring, then switch back to AF it will refocus the lens correctly.  The one part I don't understand is why there is a long delay between taking pictures when in AF, but in MF I can rapid fire.

Pretty sure the lens is shot, since the other lens works great, ut was looking for confirmation. I also don't have any friends with a Canon camera to try it out in.

"I also don't have any friends with a Canon camera to try it out in."

Unfortunately, despite the foolish advise to not do it, trying your lens on a different camera is the only way to be sure.  The only other good option is to send it to Canon but we established that is not cost effective.  What if you buy a new lens and experience the same results?  Not good.

Two more suggestions, one do you have a local real deal camera shop?  If so, give them a go.  And two, how about trying a big box store like Best Buy.  You might pay a few bucks more than the big NY retailers but the knowledge will be worth it.  Right?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements