cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it normal for a lens to continuously whirr in liveview mode that too with AF&IS-off ??

ansgp
Apprentice
I have Canon 60D & 55-250 IS II lens which makes a constant whirring (appears like of motor) sound in liveview mode, camera being idle (no button pressed) even with IS and AF switch in off position. Sound is not loud, but one can hear it in silent environment.

With IS on (AF off), its again there in Live view mode & but with half press shutter button stops for a while and again starts with IS's clicking noise. When i release button, both sound stop for a while and that motor whirring sound starts again.

Nothing like this will happen when using View finder (AF off). Here idle camera's lens is silent. Only sounds (Clicking & whirring) when IS is on & i half press button. Release the button and its again silent.

Is this normal for a lens? Is anyone else's lens (may be other than 55-250mm) making this whirring sound? My main concern is, when IS/AF is off and i am not using camera, lens should not make whirring sound even with live view.
3 REPLIES 3

ATXsnapshots
Apprentice

The problem may be your IS (Image Stabilization). After reading the article below I tinkered around with removing the lens, switching IS on and off and my lens was fixed thank God! Smiley Very Happy

http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/resources/articles/2014/is_lens_rattling.shtml

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

That particular dog likes to hunt, especially in low light, low contrast, or high f/stop setting conditions.  At least, that is what my son tells me about that lens.  It will also hunt and hunt when the camera/lens is tilted at angle, such that lens creep becomes an issue, too.

Try changing to a different lens, to isolate the problem between the camera, or the lens.  You may also check the AF mode.  If it is in AI Servo, AI Focus, then it just may try to continously refocus on moving subjects within the field of view.  Set the AF Mode to "One Shot" to see if the problem goes away.  Hope this helps.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Remove the lens and reset the camera or Clear all Settings in the menu.  Always have IS off when you mount/dismount the lens.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements