cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Impact of lens scratch

Sandy_T
Contributor

I have the opportunity to buy a Canon zoom lens at a good price, but it has a minor scratch. Seller says it has no impact on photos. Should I beware or purchase it? How could it impact the photos? Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

First what lens are you considering?   And, what discount are you receiving.  It must be a big one because, personally, I would not buy any lens that has a scratch on the front element.

Second most of the time scratches or dust, etc., are OOF (out-of-focus) so they don't show up in the photos.  However, in certain conditions it can show some aberration. Bright Sun from an angle for instance.  Most of the time a scratch will not show up, though.  

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@Sandy_T wrote:

I have the opportunity to buy a Canon zoom lens at a good price, but it has a minor scratch. Seller says it has no impact on photos. Should I beware or purchase it? How could it impact the photos? Thanks!

Is the scratch on the front element or the back element. If it is the front element then what ebiggs said applies. If the scratch is on the rear element do NOT buy it.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"...but it has a minor scratch."  "If the scratch is on the rear element do NOT buy it."

Whoa! Yes that is good advice.  I just assumed the scratch is on the front element.  If it is not by all means pass it by.

EB

It is an EF-S15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM for $250. I'll have to find out where the scratch is. If it is on the front and element and it doesn't seem to impact photos, is that a fair price?

Thank you.

New lens sells for $799

Refurb from Canon $543

For $250 it depends on how beat up the lens is.  I'd bring my body to test.  Check full operation of zoom and focus rings.  Listen accutely for motor sounds during AF focus and when IS is turned off and on.  Use AF and force the lens to focus on something close, then far away.  Listen to the operation during these activites.  Set camera to Aperature Priority mode.  Take a sequence of shots where you are controlling the F stop.  Check for proper exposure and DOF. 

Last, follow the excellent advice given above and walk away if the scratch is on the rear element.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

"EF-S15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM for $250"

Yeah, that's a fair price for a mint copy.  With a scratch about $100 is fair. IMHO, of course.

EB

@Sandy_T wrote:

It is an EF-S15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM for $250. I'll have to find out where the scratch is. If it is on the front and element and it doesn't seem to impact photos, is that a fair price?

Thank you.

The EF-S 15-85mm is a pretty old lens now. Back in it's day it was considered to have better image quality than other EF-S lenses of the day. The problem with the internet is there are 'stale' articles that still give you that impression.

Today any of the Canon's STM lenses match it's image quality. So unless you are buying it for the zoom range (which is handy). I'd consider the EF-S 10-18 IS STM and the EF-S 18-135 IS STM (or nano-USM) instead.

Announcements