cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IS off or on?

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Another which is better.  Look at these.

_DX_1435.jpg_DX_1437.jpg

Now a 200% crop of each.

2.jpg

1.jpg

Both shots are made with the Canon EF 300mm f/4L IS USM Lens.  One shot has the IS on and a UV filter.  The other has no filter and IS turned off.  Worse case to best case? No right or wrong just a curious example.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
13 REPLIES 13

@ebiggs1wrote:

"However, the whole set-up looks pretty precarious ..."

Exactly, this is how you would use it.  Not the way a lab tests it.  Big difference.

Except you're not controlling for that -- the two photos are not taken simultaneously.  So nothing can be concluded. That was my point.

@Waddizzlewrote:

@ebiggs1wrote:

You know the "ignore" feature is a often missed and little used feature of this board.  Why don't you try it?

Actually, we learned our lesson from your previous demonstration. I just wanted to point that out to you.

It has also been pointed out to you several times that some combinations of camera and lens have the smarts to automatically disable IS when the combo senses that it is mounted on a tripod. Despite posting a link to the Canon article, you still refuse to accept that behavior as fact.

On that note, I wish to offer my congratulations. You have demonstrated that there is no difference, probably because the gear you used has the smarts to automatically disable IS. 

I thought the second picture was a little sharper. Am I the only one who sees a difference?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

I thought the second picture was a little sharper. Am I the only one who sees a difference?

I did not see a difference, nor did i look for one.  The 5 MB file size limit degrades the images to the point of “why bother.” Besides, one shot used IS and a UV filter, and one shot used neither IS nor UV filter.

So, if you perceive a difference in the images, then what would you say caused the differences?  IS or UV?  Not enough info, IMHO.  Never mind the fact that the file size limit degrades the images to the point that any critical comparison becomes moot.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Robert,

"Am I the only one who sees a difference?"

I did not intend for this to be the defacto practice.  It is merely to show that the IS on or off, the filter or no, is not a game changer like some want you to believe.

Is there any difference, of course there is, but how much is the question.

I have taken literally thousands of pictures since I retired and have come to some interesting conclusions.  One thing I have found for certain is , you probably don't know all you think you do.  And, if all you do is sit behind the keyboard you never will learn.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements