cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have a canon EOS 600D with 18-55mm IS kit lens. I want to buy another lens for travel photography.

sonnysuarez
Contributor

What lens would be a best choice?

8 REPLIES 8

Skirball
Authority

It's a tough question to answer as there is no best choice.  Too many variables, what may be best for you wouldn't be for me.

Some people want one single lens to do everything, the so called Super Zooms.  Sigma makes a 18-250 which would qualify.  But the image quality and speed will never be that of more traditional ranged lenses.   My personal recommendation to these people is, if you never plan on changing lenses then just get a point and shoot.  The Canon SX50 fits this bill well.  But if that's what you're looking for there's the sigma, or you can get the 18-200 from Canon.

As far as traditional ranged lenses, it depends on what you like to shoot.  Some people love ultra wide angle for travel if they're look at old archetecture or panoramas.  The Canon 10-22 is a great lens.  A standard issue lens would be the 18-85 - decent quality, decent range.  Others hold image quality and speed paramount and would use an L lens, like the 24-105L.

Thank you Skirball for giving me good points in how will I choose on my next lens. Now I have a starting point. Again thank you!

cicopo
Elite

I think we'd need to have a better idea of what type of things you would like to capture while traveling. As for superzooms I've used several & am quite happy with the results far more often than many think one would be. They've improved over the years & can do a very good job unless making huge prints.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

Thank you cicopo for replying to my post. I think scenery and people will be the most that I would want to capture in my travel and so with some sports or actions if opportunity comes.

mikeB
Contributor
Hi there,

I had a similar issue for an up coming trip. I figured for what I wanted to do the 24-105 f4 L was a great choice even with my 650D crop sensor camera ( works out to be 38.4-168)... And you can find them used for a great price. I picked up my lens that some guy bought with a kit and did not want for $800. The lens was a UB date code (2013) and was still in the packaging. It is my first "L" lens and it is amazing! I will probably bring my 18-55 for any wide shots but I think the 24-105 will stay on the camera most of the time.

Don't be afraid to look for used lenses, most people who have "L" lenses take good care of them and are usually upgrading and need the money to help fund something more expensive... Like the 24-70 f2.8 L or the 70-200 f2.8 L II.

Good luck!

Thank you mikeB for sharing your actual experience on this issue. I will strongly consider your point with regards to acquiring used lenses....

"Don't be afraid to look for used lenses, most people who have "L" lenses take good care of them..."

This is a grand tip and it is right on. But a word of warning, keep it into Canon "L" for the most part. Unless you know the history of a third party lens, used may be risky. A good deal of the time someone will get rid of a third party lens because it has issues. Miss-focus is one in a list that can render the lens useless. Do a thorough check of them first. Buyer beware!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thanks a lot ebiggs1, your tips and warnings are a great help specially to those who are just a beginner just like me.

Announcements