cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have a Canon EOS Rebel camera with lenses. Will these same lenses fit a Canon EOS 5d Mark iv camer

frabby100
Contributor

Hi!

I have a Canon EOS Rebel camera with a few lenses.  Will these same lenses fit a Cann EOS 5D Mark iv camera

I think that all EOS lenses fit all EOS camera bodies.

Thank you very much

Maryanne

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

All EOS EF lenses will fit all EOS DSLR cameras. Rebel cameras frequently come with Canon EF-S lenses. They will not fit a 5D Mark IV or any other full frame cameras (6D or 1D X).

There are also third party lenses that will fit on any EOS DSLR, but some are designed optically for the crop cameras, so the image may not fill tghe full frame on a 5D Mark IV.

If your lens is a Canon lens and it has a red dot for aligning it to the body it will fit the 5D. If it has a white square it is an EF-S lens and it won't fit the 5D.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

Depends on which lenses they are. "EF" lenses will fit the 5D IV; "EF-S" lenses will not.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

All EOS EF lenses will fit all EOS DSLR cameras. Rebel cameras frequently come with Canon EF-S lenses. They will not fit a 5D Mark IV or any other full frame cameras (6D or 1D X).

There are also third party lenses that will fit on any EOS DSLR, but some are designed optically for the crop cameras, so the image may not fill tghe full frame on a 5D Mark IV.

If your lens is a Canon lens and it has a red dot for aligning it to the body it will fit the 5D. If it has a white square it is an EF-S lens and it won't fit the 5D.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Depends on which lenses they are. "EF" lenses will fit the 5D IV; "EF-S" lenses will not.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

frabby100
Contributor
Thank you

A further note, EF-S Canon lenses will not even mount to a 5D Mk III or IV.  However some third party lenses will mount.  They may be safe to use or they may not.  It is good advice to make sure they are the correct model.  I think all current third party lenses are manufactured to be safe but some older models may not.

The 'S' in the name EF-S stands for short focus.  This can cause the back of the lens to contact the camera mirror.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

frabby100
Contributor
Hi!

I just ordered a filter kit and am not quite sure how to identify the filters. There are 2/4/8/16 solid filters. Am I correct in assuming the 2 is the lightest filter and the 16 is the darkest?
There are also 1, 2, and 3 stop graduated filters. Again is the lightest the 1 stop and the darkest the 3 stop?

Thank you

Frabby100
Announcements