cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have a Canon 5D. I want to start adding lenses.

papabob
Apprentice

I have a Canon 5D.  I want to start adding lenses.  I want to be able to take close-up photos of flowers, etc.  Any suggestions on what lens I should purchase?  What would be considered a good selection of lenses for many different subjects?

5 REPLIES 5

Skirball
Authority

Macro lenses are very specific.  If you want to do macro I highly recommend getting a dedicated prime macro lens.  A lot of general use zoom lenses will call themselves macro, but it’s not the same.  I can’t say enough good things about the 100mm macro.  The non-L version is reasonably priced and the sharpness will amaze.  The image quality of the L is even a little better and you get image stabilization, but it costs more of course.

If image quality isn’t of top importance to you then a “macro” zoom lens will offer more flexibility.  Both in composing your shot (having a variety of focal lengths to chose from) and being useful for other types of photography.  But it won’t come close to the sharpness of a prime (unless you get a 24-70 II).  You can use the 100mm primes for non-macro use, but the thing is just too sharp for portraiture in my opinion.   

To add a little more on lens choice.  That’s a very subjective discussion.  Some people prefer primes, most prefer zooms, and some people insist on owning every lens made.  I would start with a good quality general purpose zoom (like the reasonably priced 24- 105 L), and add a few primes: 100mm macro, and a 50mm 1.4 for when you need something fast or portraits.  The 85mm f/1.8 and 135 f/2 are great lenses, but too close to 100mm if you’re just starting out building a collection.  This would be a good start and let you see what style you like to shoot. From there decide if you need more reach (like a 70-200, or longer), or perhaps you like ultra-wide angle and get a 16-35 or 17-40.

sabocketti
Apprentice

I just rented the 100 mm f/2.8 Macro USM (the non-L) version for the weekend to try it out and I loved it.In fact, I am going to be getting it.

The only downfall to the non-L version is the lack of image stabilization. On some shots you have to use a tripod. The L version has IS so you can handhold it and still get clear shots.

For what I am doing, amateur hobby type photography, it's not worth it for me to spend twice as much on the L version when the non -L has the same specs, sans IS.

@sabocketti wrote:
For what I am doing, amateur hobby type photography, it's not worth it for me to spend twice as much on the L version when the non -L has the same specs, sans IS.

That’s the same conclusion I came to.  Unless you’re going to be chasing bees and bugs I don’t think you’ll miss the image stabilization that much.

c1video
Contributor

I have that lens, and the lack of IS is not that important unless you want to do professional macro work, in which case the L glass is noticeably better. But for casual/infrequent use, the non-L macro 100 is a terrific lens. And it takes good portraits as an added feature.

Announcements