cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'd love some advice on which lens to buy...

Stan16
Contributor

Hi,

Great to be here. I'm a novice and hobbyist shooting with a 77D. I currently just own a 50mm 1.4 lens. I'm looking to assemble my own kit, but I'm not sure which lens to purchase next. I know I'd love a versatile lens that can handle low-light situations such as concerts, but can also be used as an everyday lens. I was looking at the 24-70mm 2.8L, but it's worth more than my soul. Haha. If I were to purchase this lens, would I still need any additional prime lenses? I was thinking of getting the 35mm f/2 and the 85mm 1.8 instead of the 24-70. So many options, and tough to decide where to go next. Anybody have any advice? Thank you to all!

20 REPLIES 20

"Buy lenses for the camera you own, not, for a maybe someday camera. .........

Today's cameras have come so far it becomes harder and harder to justify a full frame camera over an APS-C camera."

Absolutely, 100% agree.  The big secret, they do it at half the cost!  

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thanks, TTMartin.

Well, I bought the 77D just to have something to learn on. I do want to upgrade eventually, but not till much later. I'm still trying to get my feet wet with this stuff. I just don't know enough about cameras to understand what makes a good camera. Like, I've no idea where the 77D stands with most photographers. Maybe they think it sucks? I don't know. I just know it was the first camera I saw, and it was on the more affordable side. Haha. So I'm trying to learn as much as I can with this one. I do have to say, the ISO at 6400 is grainy as hell already. 😕

Thanks, TTMartin.

Well, I bought the 77D just to have something to learn on. I do want to upgrade eventually, but not till much later. I'm still trying to get my feet wet with this stuff. I just don't know enough about cameras to understand what makes a good camera. Like, I've no idea where the 77D stands with most photographers. Maybe they think it sucks? I don't know. I just know it was the first camera I saw, and it was on the more affordable side. Haha. So I'm trying to learn as much as I can with this one. I do have to say, the ISO at 6400 is grainy as hell already. 😕

@TTMartin wrote:

@Stan16 wrote:

Thanks, guys. I appreciate it!

The only reason I'm avoiding EF-S lenses is in case I upgrade to a full frame camera, I'd want lenses I could actually use on it. Otherwise, they'd probably be just sitting around.

Buy lenses for the camera you own, not, for a maybe someday camera.

When you buy your new camera what are you going to do with your old camera? 

Sell it? Then sell the lenses at the same time.

Keep it? Then you'll need lenses for it.

Today's cameras have come so far it becomes harder and harder to justify a full frame camera over an APS-C camera. Back in the days of the 5D Mk II and the 50D there was clearly a need for the extra light gathering surface area of a full frame camera. Today with the high ISO performance of cameras like the 7D Mk II not so much.

Thanks, TTMartin. Well, I bought the 77D just to have something to learn on. I do want to upgrade eventually, but not till much later. I'm still trying to get my feet wet with this stuff. I just don't know enough about cameras to understand what makes a good camera. Like, I've no idea where the 77D stands with most photographers. Maybe they think it sucks? I don't know. I just know it was the first camera I saw, and it was on the more affordable side. Haha. So I'm trying to learn as much as I can with this one. I do have to say, the ISO at 6400 is grainy as hell already. 😕

@Stan16 wrote:

@TTMartin wrote:

@Stan16 wrote:

Thanks, guys. I appreciate it!

The only reason I'm avoiding EF-S lenses is in case I upgrade to a full frame camera, I'd want lenses I could actually use on it. Otherwise, they'd probably be just sitting around.

Buy lenses for the camera you own, not, for a maybe someday camera.

When you buy your new camera what are you going to do with your old camera? 

Sell it? Then sell the lenses at the same time.

Keep it? Then you'll need lenses for it.

Today's cameras have come so far it becomes harder and harder to justify a full frame camera over an APS-C camera. Back in the days of the 5D Mk II and the 50D there was clearly a need for the extra light gathering surface area of a full frame camera. Today with the high ISO performance of cameras like the 7D Mk II not so much.

Thanks, TTMartin. Well, I bought the 77D just to have something to learn on. I do want to upgrade eventually, but not till much later. I'm still trying to get my feet wet with this stuff. I just don't know enough about cameras to understand what makes a good camera. Like, I've no idea where the 77D stands with most photographers. Maybe they think it sucks? I don't know. I just know it was the first camera I saw, and it was on the more affordable side. Haha. So I'm trying to learn as much as I can with this one. I do have to say, the ISO at 6400 is grainy as hell already. 😕

The 77D is a very capable camera, though not one that a professional, or even a serious amateur, would be likely to buy. But it's a perfectly sensible choice for your stated purpose. By the time you outgrow it, you may elect to upgrade to a new model that isn't available today. At this stage of your development as a photographer, your lens choices are arguably more important than your choice of a camera body. Lens designs change more slowly than camera designs do, so lenses tend to have a longer useful life.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

The 77D is a very capable camera, though not one that a professional, or even a serious amateur, would be likely to buy. But it's a perfectly sensible choice for your stated purpose. By the time you outgrow it, you may elect to upgrade to a new model that isn't available today. At this stage of your development as a photographer, your lens choices are arguably more important than your choice of a camera body. Lens designs change more slowly than camera designs do, so lenses tend to have a longer useful life.

Thanks, Bob! 

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Not knowing for sure your direction, FF or not, I would avoid primes.  They are simply too hard to use and are too limited in there use.  Primes should come after you have established your ultimate goal.

The Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Lens is the best lens...........made!  Yeah, probably is right now considering all it does.

The 77D is essentially a warmed up Rebel T7i.  It is a good platform and one that you can build upon.  Personally I don't understand why Canon came out with both.  One reason they also have the excellent 80D, who knows?  However like I said it is a good starting point and even a good ending point.  With smart choice of lenses I would prefer the 77D over the FF, 6D Mk II and greatly over the older 6D.

What lenses?  Two come to mind right off. The EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens and the excellent, perhaps best choice, Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art Lens for Canon.  Both are less costly than the EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Lens by more than half.  That means you can have more lenses!  That, my friend, is another point in favor of staying with the 77D platform.

Still, if your goal is for the best and you want a pro level no kidding lens you have no better choice than the Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Lens!  FF in your future or not, this lens is as good as it gets.    Period!

EB

Stan16
Contributor
Thanks ebiggs1!

Yeah, the 24-70mm seems like the ideal choice for many. I just want to be able to shoot landscapes, concerts, and everything in between. Seems like this lens is the way to go.

I think the only reason why I haven’t gotten a full frame yet is because they’re more expensive, and I was about to pull the trigger on the 6D II, until I heard all kinds of negative feedback about it; that it’s just not worth the price tag. So I think I’m gonna hold back and wait till possibly next year when Canon releases something worthwhile for me. 🙂

Don't buy a FF just because you think it is cool or somebody told you, you just gotta go FF or you ain't cool.

The 80D and the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art Lens for Canon will shoot as well to better than either the 6D or 6D Mk II at half the cost.  It will do landscapes the biggie that FF guys seem to cling to.

EB

Thanks ebiggs1. Sounds like a lens I should look into. (no pun intended).

Announcements