Canon Community Canon Community

Frequent Contributor

How to remove a stuck filter from front element

Hi Experts,

I was wondering if anyone could give me good suggestions on how to remove a tuck filter from the front element? Are there tools I should try to buy or send it to Canon shops to have it removed? Lens in question is 70-200 MK2.

Thanks,

LV

Esteemed Contributor

Re: How to remove a stuck filter from front element

There are “filter wrenches” (and they’re cheap).  But I find that I can usually work a filter loose by using an orbital wobble while twisting it.

A filter only needs to be threaded on enough to prevent it from falling off (about one or two threads).  I never full screw on a filter (having been burned by stuck filters once or twice myself).  

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@limvo05 wrote:

Hi Experts,

I was wondering if anyone could give me good suggestions on how to remove a tuck filter from the front element? Are there tools I should try to buy or send it to Canon shops to have it removed? Lens in question is 70-200 MK2.

Thanks,

LV

A lens wrench works.  Sending it in to let Canon do a “Clean and Check” is best.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't rent software. I use Photoshop CS6, ACR 9.8 and Lightroom 6.8 ."
Valued Contributor

Big fluffy towel..  latex gloves.  How stuck is it. 

Rick
Bay Area - CA
~6D2 (f/w 1.0.3) ~16-35mm f2.8L II, 50 f1.8 STM, 85 prime, 70-200 f2.8L IS II ~Sigma 24-70 f2.8 Art (f/w 2.0) ~Sigma 150-600 C + TC1401 1.4x (f/w 1.03) ~Speedlite 430 EX II ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DPP 4.8.20 ~Windows10 Pro nVidia GPU 1803 ~Android 8.1
Super Contributor

A rubber glove usually works but don't squeeze too hard otherwise the filter can deform slightly making it grip even tighter. The other easy way is to place the lens with the filter straight down onto a silicon mat, press down on the lens and twist.

Esteemed Contributor

@Ray-uk wrote:

A rubber glove usually works but don't squeeze too hard otherwise the filter can deform slightly making it grip even tighter. The other easy way is to place the lens with the filter straight down onto a silicon mat, press down on the lens and twist.

You do mean a silicone mat, right? I think a silicon mat might be the very last thing I'd recommend.

Bob
Boston, Massachusetts USA
VIP

I find that what works best is to put another filter on and tighten them together.  Get a nice wide rubber band that fits snugly to help with grip.  Small jerky effort also helps.

A lot less stuff for 2018 but still a lot of Canon stuff. Along with, a lot of other stuff.
Frequent Contributor

All,

Many thanks for the suggestions. FYI. I got this idea from a youtube and I was able to get it off. Zip ties. See photoIMG_4298.JPG

Thanks,

LV