cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you update lens firmware?

DoctorSaul
Apprentice

I see that a firmware update for my EF 40mm f/2.8 STM lens is available.  How do you update the firmware on the lens?  The Canon website shows the downloadable file, but what do I do after I download the file?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

7D5D
Rising Star
Did you download and unzip the file to see if there was documentation?

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

7D5D
Rising Star
Did you download and unzip the file to see if there was documentation?

Thanks.... sure enough, when I downloaded the firmware update from the Canon website, and opened up the zipped file, the documentation gave a detailed step-by-step procedure to use to transfer the firmware update file to a memory card for insertion into my T4i camera.  The rest of the procedure was straight forward, with no problems.

Interestingly, I had to download the lens firmware file using my Windows computer, as my Apple iMac cannot be used to download or prepare the memory card for the lens firmware update.  So, if you have only Apple machines using Apple Operating System, you will not be able to update your lens firmware (or even see that a firmware update is available for your lens on the Canon website.... you can only see these lens firmware updates, if one is available for your particular lens, only if you are using a Windows machine).

Announcements