cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help me with lenses

danwalters
Apprentice

Hello 

I am looking for a great lense for my camera - Canon 5D Mark III but I am trying to find a great lense that is perfect for evertything like travel, people, street, etc. I am not sure if I should get 50mm or 85mm or something else? Hope you can help me? 

Thanks, 
Dan

4 REPLIES 4

@danwalters wrote:

Hello 

I am looking for a great lense for my camera - Canon 5D Mark III but I am trying to find a great lense that is perfect for evertything like travel, people, street, etc. I am not sure if I should get 50mm or 85mm or something else? Hope you can help me? 

Thanks, 
Dan

For that camera and those requirements, get the Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS (or IS II). The IS II is newer, heavier, more expensive, and probably better. (I haven't used it.) The older one (which many of us have) was still available the last time I looked. No lens is perfect for everything. But if you knew enough to get a 5D3, you undoubtedly know that already. That part of your stated requirement was just hyperbole.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@danwalters wrote:

Hello 

Thanks, 
Dan

I agree with Bob.  The EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM lens is the classic, walk around, starter "L" lens.  You mention "street" photography, so another good choice could be the EF 16-35mm f/2.8 II USM.  I have both, and find myself using the super wide angle far more than the 24-105 standard zoom.

Canon has released updated versions of both lenses over the past year.  I cannot say how improved they are over their predecessors, but you should look into the newer versions, too.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

John_SD
Whiz

@danwalters wrote:

Hello 

Thanks, 
Dan

Are you asking about one single prime lens -- a 50mm or an 85mm? I don't believe a single prime lens would be "perfect for everything." But since you mentioned street photography, I have done a little of it since getting my T6 and using the 18-55MM. I really enjoy it. You could probably use your 50MM lens for that. I think it would work well, and you could probably use it for "people," another of your stated interests. Use your feet to zoom in and out.

Actually, I am more interested in your camera choice than your question about lenses. How did you come into posession of the 5D Mark III? Was it given to you as a gift? Bought it based on a recommendation from another?

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"...get the Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS (or IS II)."

A year or two ago I would said this too.  It is still the best buy in a GP, "L" quality lens.  Very hard to beat for the price.  I did end up selling both of mine after I got the 24-70mm f2.8L.  It is just so good I never used the 24-105mil again.

The ef 24-70mm f2.8 L II is the best lens made, bar none.

Forget primes. They offer little and are much more limited in their use.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements