cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help in choosing a lens.

Siddharthd13
Contributor

Hi Everyone,

I own a Canon 1100D. Recently, my kit lens 18-55mm gave away after close to 4.5 years (mainly due to fungus and a problem with the auto focus). I was then suggested that I should purchase a new lens instead.

Could someone please help in suggesting a new one? Basically I have a 100mm as well as a 70-300 zoom lense so I am looking for something different.

I am looking for something which would be used for potraits as well as landscapes. Please do provide me with a few suggestions

Regards.

Siddharth 

12 REPLIES 12

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

I would suggest either the EF-S 17-55, the EF-S 15-85 or the EF-S 18-135 -the latter if you want more reach. The 17-55 is probably the best picture quality.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

In your situation the only choice is the ef-s 17-55mm f/2.8 is usm.  It will open a whole new world for you.  Constant fast aperture all purpose zoom. It will do landscapes and portraits very well indeed.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Hi,

Thank you so much for your response.

I'll do a bit of research on these lenses and then decide.

Regards,

Siddharth

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

You should consider the update of your kit lens, the EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM lens.

I notice that the EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM is being sold at around 50% off the regular list, which brings into the price range of the afore mentioned EF-S 18-55mm STM.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Is your 100mm lens the f/2.8 macro or the f/2 lens?  Either way it would be very useful for tight portraits as long as you have room to stand back a little, like outdoors. 

If you are willing to extend your budget I agree with Ernie on the 17-55 f/2.8. Very sharp and with the constant f/2.8 aperture it is good in low light and good at blurring away distracting backgrounds.  Also the 55mm long end gives the field of view of a full frame camera at 80mm so it is good for portraits. 

If you opt not to upgrade then the latest version of your old 18-55mm is marginally improved and is an option, if not a particularly intriguing one. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

Hi,

Thanks so much for your response.

I have the 100mm f/2 lens.

As per my budget, I was considering the below lenses since the 17-55 and others mentioned are above my budget:

1.EF - S24mm f/2.8 STM
2.EF -S18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM
3.EF - S10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM
4.EF 35mm f/2

Would you be able to recommend an appropriate one from the list?

@Siddharthd13 wrote:
Hi,

Thanks so much for your response.

I have the 100mm f/2 lens.

As per my budget, I was considering the below lenses since the 17-55 and others mentioned are above my budget:

1.EF - S24mm f/2.8 STM
2.EF -S18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM
3.EF - S10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM
4.EF 35mm f/2

Would you be able to recommend an appropriate one from the list?

Those lenses have quite different purposes. What you should do is read enough about each of them to make an informed choice, based on your interests and requirements. If, for whatever reason, you're unable or unwilling to do that, choose no. 2, the EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM. It's the most "general purpose" lens on your list.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Yes, I will need to do a thorough read up on them to make an informed decision.

I would be looking to buy a lens mostly for general purpose like you said.

Thanks again for your input.

"1.EF - S24mm f/2.8 STM                                    absolutely no
2.EF -S18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM                     possible
3.EF - S10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM                      probably no
4.EF 35mm f/2"                                                     absolutely yes  

But it depends on what you want to do with them.  I think you said landscapes and portraits?  What you have listed is a outfit not a list of choices.  Unless your goal is that 'bag' !

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements