cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP Having such a difficult time making a decision with camera and lenses.

pongo1
Apprentice

I currently have a Canon XTI and want to upgrade.  I am debating between the 3Ti and the 4TI.  I have read numerous conflicting information regarding the 4Ti.  I realize the 4Ti  is much better for video but that doesn't concern me.  My  primary use wil be photos.  I take lots of family photos indoor in low light settings.  What is important to me is there a difference with the 4TI in the low light settings?  Also I think the touch screen sounds very appealing and easier for the beginner photographer like myself.  Some reviews indicate there is no difference between the 3t and the 4t in lower light and others indicate the 4T is better.  I live ina rural area, no camera stores in the area so its not possible to go to a local store and check out the cameras and lenses so all my research is done online.

As far as a lens, I am looking for a walk around lens that is also good in low light.  I currently have the 50mm 1.4 and the 18-135 is.   I am not crazy about the 18-135 and will probably be selling it soon.  The 50 mm is a great lens but sometimes

it  is not wide enough for photos.  So I have it down to the  Canon 17-55, 15-85 or 24-105L.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Sheila

14 REPLIES 14

cicopo
Elite

I've never shot any of the Rebel series but I think the answers to some of your questions are in the reviews here.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/MFR1.HTM?view=Canon_reviews

It's a very trustworthy site when it comes to reviews. I do however own a 24-105L and it's an excellent lens, but it may not be wide enough for you indoors. The 17-55 might be a better choice but so might a 10-22. How often are you on the wide end of the 18-135 & is it wide enough? Not enough difference between 17 & 18 mm so if that's not wide enough you'll need to go for something like the 10-22. Remember that your crop body is making all of these lenses act as though they are 60% longer, so that 10 mm acts like a 16 mm on a full frame body (which film SLR's are & things get compared to).

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

Hi Cicopo,
Thanks for your reply.
Most of my photos are not on the wide side. Every year, I volunteer to take Christmas family pictures at work. The lighting is terrible and the space is not very deep. This is when I wish I had a wide lens.
I think I have decided to go for the 4Ti and still can't decide on the lens.
Thanks again for your response.

You had mentioned you were thinking of the 17-55 which is a fast lens plus it has IS, (unless you meant the kit lens)  and both might fit that need well. Here's a link to user reviews on that lens. 

http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/showproduct.php?product=303&sort=7&cat=27&page=3

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

I think your Idea of a 17-105 is great.  Do you know if it comes in a 1.8.  That would be perfect for the kind of travel experience I have in mind.

Did you Know if you have had a difficult time to make a decision between 2 or 3 things, worst thing is to ask it in a forum so you will be now having as many cause for confusion as the posts out there 🙂

Having said that, with the price of T3i and T4i so close now a days specially very many excellent deals out there for Xmas, its is a simple mistake to settle for T3i.

Having solved that, yes you can get the best video quality possible today on T4i like no other camera and you though you are buying still camera. So specially if you have a plan to video tap anything with it seriously, you need to know Canon's older lens though appear very silent to human ears, are quit noisy to microphone of camera that is in vicinity so to have good audio you need Canon's newer specially made STM lenses that are perfect companion for T4i. Due to specially design of motor, they move smoothly and without noise. So you have 2 true choices only  right now:

1- Canon EFs STM 18-135mm (Don't get confused with older Non STM 18-135mm)

2- Canon PanCake 40mm STM F2.8 that is a gem to keep even if your body.

Of course the first one is a better in terms of zoom, second one better for lower light and sharper image.

Then you need a wider angel lens for landscape, general picture taking and nothing is better than EFs 10-22mm.

You may feel its expensive at first but will be in love with it for ever.

In short my suggestion: Ti4, EFs STM 18-135 and EFs 10-22mm.

Rest; time will tell you (Specially a potential 70-200mmL F4) to cover tele as need may be.

Then consider buying 3 extra battery (Third party cheaper ones are just fine).

Consider a third party Power grip (Don't go for over priced OEM Canon that wont add much - And for record you didn't heard this from me:))  that though cheap, serve the purpose at best. This will give you a better grip and handling feel of camera also ability to shoot in vertical position with added second shutter release bottom also not to forget added extra second battery in pack that is priceless.

SD card is you next concern. If you need video shooting, card should not only be a Class 10 but you should pay attention to the number that follows and you probably need a 35Mb/s or better (There are many 45 or 95Mb/s now a days for right price) to allow flow of video smoothly. Lower rated cards will fail due to buffering and you can't record anything pass a few seconds. But these lower rated cards are OK for still picture taking.

Again I suggest Sandisk Extreme / ExtremePro to make your job easier.

I hope this was help and I haven't added to the confusion any further.

BrickR
Enthusiast

17-55 is a very good versatile lens.

24-105, 24 mm is not as wide as you may want on a crop body.

15-85, although it has a variable Ap, it is regarded as one of the sharper lenses with a great focal length.

As far as not being to actually hold a Rebel before buying (which is really unfortunate) just know that for small to medium size hands, it won't be bad, but for large hands it may feel a bit small, but a battery grip will change that. But that is subjective of course. Every one is different. Would suggest purchasing from some place with a good reputation for returns just in case you find you can't live with it.

Hi BrickR,
I have small hands so I don't think the size will be an issue. i think this is my third Rebel, soon it will be my fourth. Unfortunately, I like new toys. Do you think the 15-85 would do ok in low light? I have a flash. I think it is a 430 flash.

jfo
Rising Star

@pongo1 wrote:

... I take lots of family photos indoor in low light settings.  ...

As far as a lens, I am looking for a walk around lens that is also good in low light.  I currently have the 50mm 1.4 and the 18-135 is.   I am not crazy about the 18-135 and will probably be selling it soon.  The 50 mm is a great lens but sometimes

it  is not wide enough for photos.  So I have it down to the  Canon 17-55, 15-85 or 24-105L.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Sheila

Hey Sheila,

Are you pretty new to photography?  I see shooting in low-light is a priority, but you're considering the 24-105mm f/4.  
This is asking for trouble.

Your 50mm f/1.4 is a prime lens with a maximum aperture of f/1.4, which means it can open its aperture very big to let in a lot of light.  On the flip side, the 24-105mm has a maximum aperture of f/4, which means its aperture does not open as wide, and won't let in as much light at its 'best'.  This is a difference of 3 'stops' or, in short, if you're in a low-light situation, at best the 24-105mm will let in 1/8th the amount of light that your current 50mm does.  

There's no walkaround (zoom) lens that will compare to your 50mm lens, but you should definitely consider lenses that are at least  f/2.8.

Here's a better explanation than I can give about f-stops and light: http://www.redbubble.com/people/peterh111/journal/5725038-the-easy-guide-to-understanding-aperture-f...

Faster glass is a good idea but the requirements may not fit into anything fast & affordable, plus the DSLR's under consideration can shoot pretty nice images at ISO 3200. Not many users new to DSLR's seem to understand or try the higher ISO's but considering that experimenting with them costs nothing I urge everyone to shoot test shots in a dim room & after 2 or 3 shots of the same item go up another step in ISO. Once you've got the full set see where you draw the line re noise & lack of detail. Photos shot using a 7D at  ISO 1600 & 3200  are every bit as usable as at ISO 400 for the majority of non pro needs.

Announcements