cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Focus problem with 600 mm IS 2 plus 1.4 and 2.0 TC's

Carlosbuddie
Contributor

I have focus problem with my newly acquired 600mm IS series 2 canon lens.

I have a 60d, a 7d mk2 and a 5d mk3The lens works well on all three cameras, if I couple it up to a 1.4   iii or 2.0 iii  tc, the focus goes to pot (see image, AF point bang in the middle of the birds back.) The bird was approx. 200 ft away.

If I couple it up to the 1.4 on my 60d I get  fantastic images even at about 2KM distance.

Any one had any similar problems. I would be grateful for any info. Thanks in advance.

24 REPLIES 24

I use 50x the fccal length, and a tape measure.  If you are careful about measuring the distance, you should get the nearly the same composition and framing of the target, no matter the focal length that you are testing.

The light conditions can affect the camera's ability to focus, especially artificial lighting.  Take a series of shots, and use the average.  If technique is good, than your results should be fairly consistent from test shot to shot.  Ignore the high and low extremes, and average the results.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Hi Tim, Do you have an email address I could send them to?
Kind regards
Charles

Charles,

You have a $12,000 dollar lens and expensive t-cons to go with it.  If you bought this lens new it has a warranty.  If you bought it used, in either way, you need to send it to Canon.  They will do a C&C on it.  This is the only way you are going to be sure it is right.  None of this fooling around with focus adjustment is going to work.  At the very least call Canon support and get ahold of a guy that actually uses one of these behemoths. Some of their techs don't !  From what you have posted I don't get the feeling you have experience with one of these super teles either.  Call Canon and/or get the C&C. 

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Charles,  I sent you a Private Message via the forum with my email address.  You should see a very tiny envelope icon near the top of the page (it's not obvious) and you can click that to get to your private messages.

Best Regards,

Tim

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Sorry Tim been away for a couple of days. I sent you an email with some  strange results of checks I did. Also tried sending you 3 images but  for some reason 2 of them were returned as undeliverable.

Regards

Charles

Announcements