cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First third-party lens

John_SD
Whiz

I am thinking about purchasing the Sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC Macro HSM lens.This would be my first third-party lens purchase. It would obviously be used as a walking-around lens. If I buy it, I'll likely buy directly from Sigma. 

A couple of questions. Does anyone have this lens? If so, what has been your experience with it? I am a little concerned about the sizable range of 18-200mm, in terms of photo quality, especially at the tele end.. Yet the examples I've seen online seem very good to me. 

I'd be interested in your thoughts. 

17 REPLIES 17

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

John,

I have owned many, many lenses over the decades.  The Sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC Macro HSM lens has not been one of them that I can remember, anyway, but I strongly urge you to reconsider.  I suppose it is what you expect and the goal you wish to achieve.  I have no doubt it will take pictures.  The question is, how good?  But how good is good?  That is for you not me to decide.  It will certainly be better than a cell phone.

Let's consider something, third party lenses can be not just good but very good.  Some of the time they are a better buy, too. Some are half the cost of a Canon lens of the same focal length.  For instance, the Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 IF EX DG HSM Lens is a real nice lens.  Along with its big brother the Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 EX DG APO OS HSM comprise a truly nice bag.

Not to the level of the Canon duo in this focal length but both of the Siggy's will cost what just one of the Canons!

To conclude, the best advice is to buy real deal Canon if you can.  If there is a good reason to look elsewhere, than give the third world a look.  IMHO, I would go for the Canon EF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens if I just had to have that unreasonable focal length.  Check it out.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thanks for all the tips, guys. I appreciate it, and inasmuch as I sincerely value your wealth of knowledge and expertise, I have decided to shelve the purchase of the Sigma 18-200mm lens. I agree, it was not a well-thought-out decision and I am glad I sought out your thoughts before making the actual purchase. 

I think that I am going to do a couple of things. First, I am going to wait for the coming release of the 6D Mark II and see what kind of reviews it gets. But whether I go with the Mark II or some other entry-level full frame camera, I believe that full frame is the direction I would like to head in. Thus, I will move away from EF-S lenses and slowly build up my repertoire of EF glass, which I can still use on my crop sensor camera. I agree, buying bargain basement lenses will not be satisfying to me, no matter the low price. 

Thank you all again for the sound advice. I believe it saved me from making a poor purchasing decision. 

And Happy Father's Day!

"...or some other entry level full frame camera,..."

John,

There is no 'other' entry level FF cameras besides the 6D family (assuming there will be a Mk II).  That is, if you intend to stick with Canon.  Again, if you do stick with Canon the 6D or Mk II is THE choice for entry level..  If on the other hand you are switching brands and not wanting entry level, I can give you some tips on which FF I would buy.

IMHO, don't buy ef-s lenses.  You will only buy them twice if you do.

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"...or some other entry level full frame camera,..."

John,

There is no 'other' entry level FF cameras besides the 6D family (assuming there will be a Mk II).  That is, if you intend to stick with Canon.  Again, if you do stick with Canon the 6D or Mk II is THE choice for entry level..  If on the other hand you are switching brands and not wanting entry level, I can give you some tips on which FF I would buy.

IMHO, don't buy ef-s lenses.  You will only buy them twice if you do.

Thanks, Ernie. I'm going to wait on the 6D Mark II, soon to be released at $1999, according to rumor. That's the body only, but priced about $100 less than the prior version at launch, I believe. In addition It will also be released as part of 3 different kits, according to what I've been reading. We'll have to see how close to reality the rumors are. Shouldn't have long to wait.

https://www.canonrumors.co/canon-6d-mark-ii-body-price-is-1999-has-a-single-sd-card-slot/

Two companies that I have found pretty unpredictable, Adobe and Canon.  Personally, I was not and am not a fan of the 6D but I know lot's of folks that are. 

EB

I recently bought the Sigma 18-200mm on Craigs List for $100.  Price was great and the lens is awesome for my hobby level photography.  yes there are many much better options, but for a walk around lens it is perfect for me.  Always check for used options first if you are on a budget or a hobby photographer. 

Enjoy! Smiley Happy

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

John,

I have owned many, many lenses over the decades.  The Sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC Macro HSM lens has not been one of them that I can remember, anyway, but I strongly urge you to reconsider.  I suppose it is what you expect and the goal you wish to achieve.  I have no doubt it will take pictures.  The question is, how good?  But how good is good?  That is for you not me to decide.  It will certainly be better than a cell phone.

Let's consider something, third party lenses can be not just good but very good.  Some of the time they are a better buy, too. Some are half the cost of a Canon lens of the same focal length.  For instance, the Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 IF EX DG HSM Lens is a real nice lens.  Along with its big brother the Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 EX DG APO OS HSM comprise a truly nice bag.

Not to the level of the Canon duo in this focal length but both of the Siggy's will cost what just one of the Canons!

To conclude, the best advice is to buy real deal Canon if you can.  If there is a good reason to look elsewhere, than give the third world a look.  IMHO, I would go for the Canon EF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens if I just had to have that unreasonable focal length.  Check it out.

Canon has the lens Ernie recommends on sale in the refurbished store.  I have purchased several lenses there.  

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/ef-s-18-200mm-f-35-56-is-refurbished-17976-1    

They are asking for less money than your Sigma.  Get a Canon hood for it from B&H, if Canon is out of stock.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements