cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EF lens on canon 400d?

Anthony2412
Contributor

So I have a 400d which works fine, a few years ago when I first bought it, it came with a 18-55mm EFS lens so I am ausming I cant use EF lenses but if I can please tell me.

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

TTMartin
Authority
Authority
You can use all Canon EF and EF-S lenses on the 400D/XTi. Canon's newer STM lenses offer outstanding image quality at a reasonable price. They are a fantastic value.

View solution in original post

@Anthony2412 wrote:

Ok thank you guys all for commenting so I can use all modren canon lenses on a 400d?

Except those designed specifically for the "M" (Mirrorless) series of cameras.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Anthony2412
Contributor
Yeah ok I dont need a mirrorless lens I got a dslr. I checked out some STM lenses and they go for a very good price.

15 REPLIES 15

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

You can use any Canon EF or EF-S lens with the 400D.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

Canon's camera models which use the APS-C sensor place the sensor in exactly the same position as Canon's full-frame cameras.  This allows compatibility with either type of lens on the same camera body (with one catch).

Full frame cameras have sensors which measure roughly 36mm x 24mm.

APS-C sensor cameras (such as your 400D) have sensors which measure roughly 22mm x 15mm.

The EF lenses are designed to produce images large enough to completely fill the frame of a full frame sensor.

The EF-S lenses are designed to produce images which are only large enough to fill the frame of an APS-C sensor, but NOT a full-frame sensor.

This means the APS-C camera can use any EF lens... in addition to the EF-S lenses.

But you can't go the other way... you can't use EF-S lenses on a full-frame sensor camera.

For your 400D, you can use:

- any EF-S lens

- any EF lens

- any TS-E lens (the tilt-shift speciality lenses)

- the MP-E (specialty extreme-macro photo lens)

But you cannot use the EF-M lenses (these lenses are designed for Canon's "mirrorless" bodies).

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

" I am ausming I cant use EF lenses but if I can please tell me."

Most of the EF lenses, if not all, will produce better images on your camera than EF-S lenses do.  This is because you are using just the center of the EF lens.  This is where most, if not all lenses, are at there best.  Will you need to become a 'pixel peeper' to see or notice this, most likely you will ! Smiley Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Most of the EF lenses, if not all, will produce better images on your camera than EF-S lenses do.  This is because you are using just the center of the EF lens.  This is where most, if not all lenses, are at there best.  Will you need to become a 'pixel peeper' to see or notice this, most likely you will ! Smiley Happy

This is an outdated 'fact'.

Modern STM EF-S lenses will give you better image quality than most consumer EF lenses, and match the image quality of older L lenses. 

There have been huge advancements in lens design and manufacturing in the last 10 years. 

I am not buying that until you produce a MTF chart to prove it.   I'm waiting! Smiley Wink

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

I am not buying that until you produce a MTF chart to prove it.   I'm waiting! Smiley Wink

If you got off your porch you wouldn't need an MTF, you'd know it was true.

Oh, you silly man, you know you have one or some, I mean.  C'mon on and share, I know you have them memorized by now.

You know you want to. Do it.  You'll feel better when you do.

Ya, know all those steps on the deck (not a porch) and those, way too, heavy "L" lenses are just too much for me.  I need to trade them in for some plastic STM's so I can be just like you. Smiley Happy

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Ya, know all those steps on the deck (not a porch) and those, way too, heavy "L" lenses are just too much for me.  I need to trade them in for some plastic STM's so I can be just like you. Smiley Happy

Sorry, simply buying STM lenses won't help. When will you learn that buying tons of gear doesn't make you a good photographer?

"When will you learn that buying tons of gear doesn't make you a good photographer?"

Dang it ! Thwarted again.  Now what am I gonna do that, that idea is not true.  Woe is me. I sure wish I had known you years ago there Tommy Boy.  You sure could of saved me lots of money.  Can you suggest a course for me to follow that will help me?  Maybe, just maybe I can rise to your ability.  Do you think?  If I dump all my "L" glass and buy STM's will that be the ticket?

EB
Announcements