cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EF-S lens compatibility with EF-mount adapter (Canon lenses via Metabones adapter to Sony a7s ii)

sadsongs
Apprentice

Hi, I searched the forum but didn't find an exact answer to my question:

1) Can I use / Is an EF-S lens "compatible" or at least usable with my EF-mount Metabones adapter to my full-frame Sony a7s ii camera

I read elsewhere that the Canon lenses could interfere with DSLR mirror cameras, but the a7Sii is mirrorless; and the adapter moves the lens farther from the sensor area.

I also read that there would be vignetting (darkness around the edges) because the EF-S lenses were designed for much smaller APS-C sensors.

There is NO GLASS in the adapter (it is not a speed booster), so it's just a straight conversion (with some electronics supported).

2) Will the EF-S even seat and fit on the adapter ("Metabones Mark IV Smart Adapter for Canon EF Lens to Sony E-Mount Camera". SKU: MBEFEBT4. MFR: MB_EF-E-BT4)?

3) Will the electronics match? 

4) Will the photos be useful even with the vignette? 

5) Anything else I should know? 

Subject: EF-S lens compatibility with EF-mount adapter (Canon lenses via Metabones adapter to Sony a7s ii)

8 REPLIES 8

cicopo
Elite

Can't answer most of that but can tell you that EF-S lenses will not be a good choice in most cases because it will look like you are shooting through a pipe.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

This old post may explain why an EF-S lens isn't that great on a full frame sensor body.

https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/Lenses/Using-a-lens-designed-for-crop-bodies-on-full-frame-SAMPLE...

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

" EF-S lens compatibility with EF-mount adapter (Canon lenses via Metabones adapter to Sony a7s ii)"

I don't know if you can or not but I would really like to know, why?  Why would you want to anyway? I understand why folks would want to adapt "L" lenses but not the consumer grade ef-s lens.  Sony has equivalent lenses to the ef-s line up already.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Because the metabones greatly improves lens performance.

For the OP: You will have to ask Metabones whether an EF-S will work.

"Because the metabones greatly improves lens performance."

How so, pray tell?

EB

Google lensrentals metabones magic

Basically it is an anti-teleconverter.

It shortens focal length, *increases* maximum aperture and reduces distortion.

Again for the OP: I find an EF to Sony converter but I can't find that they have a Sony to EF converter.

OK, it is just another tel-con type only non-extender.  I will say I probably won't like it since I am not a big fan of tel-cons anyway.  Up or down FL adapters!

Roger said,

"It is going to take a while and a lot of people experimenting before we find out what combinations of lenses and cameras are awesome with it, which are fairly good, and which fairly bad. They won’t all be the same."

EB

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

The OP mentioned... this is not the version that has the speedbooster.  (it's not a focal reducer).

The main issue I see is that a Canon EF-S lens is designed to project an image circle 44mm behind the mounting flange which should have a diameter of about 28mm (large enough to completely fill an APS-C sensor with no vignetting).

A "full frame" sensor measure just under 44mm diagonally... so you need an image circle with a diameter of about 45mm or more ... and an EF-S lens doesn't produce an image circle that large.

You'll have extreme vignetting or... as cicopo says "it will look like you are shooting through a pipe."

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
Announcements