Canon Community Canon Community
 


Reply
VIP
Posts: 9,053
Registered: ‎12-07-2012

Re: EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS I vs II

"...I'll need to do some learning on lighting for portrait photography."

 

Not to belabor the point, but the Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Lens is also the best portrait lens. I have used virtually all of them and seem to always come back to the zoom.  It has been and is more and more becoming the 'goto' portrait lens for the industry.

A lot less stuff for 2018 but still a lot of Canon stuff. Along with, a lot of other stuff.
Frequent Contributor
Posts: 25
Registered: ‎01-30-2018

Re: EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS I vs II

Do you find there's a particular sweet spot in the focal length for portaits?  Or is that just going to be completey situation and personal taste dependent?  

VIP
Posts: 9,053
Registered: ‎12-07-2012

Re: EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS I vs II

"...completey situation..."

 

Yes!  Because it is a zoom and such a versatile lens it has become the favorite.  We use to like the 85mil, 100mil up to 135mm but his lens offers all in one package.  Add to the fact it has a reasonably fast constant aperture doesn't hurt either.

A lot less stuff for 2018 but still a lot of Canon stuff. Along with, a lot of other stuff.
Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 4,291
Registered: ‎06-25-2014

Re: EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS I vs II


@coachboz68 wrote:

Do you find there's a particular sweet spot in the focal length for portaits?  Or is that just going to be completey situation and personal taste dependent?  


Believe it or not, it depends on the length of the subject's nose.

 

When you take a portrait, which typically includes not much more than the subject's face, your first impulse is to move in close to fill the frame. But that imposes a wide-angle effect that tends to exaggerate the length of the subject's nose. The cure for that is to move back (to lessen the apparent distance between the tip of the nose and the rest of the face) and to use a longer lens (to fill the frame as it would have been filled if you hadn't moved back). So if the subject has a very long nose, you move back farther and use an even longer lens. The historical consensus is that on a full-frame camera the focal length should be, on average, somewhere between 85 and 135 mm.

 

I don't pretend to be a portrait photographer, but my preference, such as it is, is about 135 mm on a full-frame camera. That would be just under 85 mm on Canon's version (1.6 "crop factor") of an APS-C camera. As usual, YMMV.

Bob
Boston, Massachusetts USA
Frequent Contributor
Posts: 44
Registered: ‎01-27-2018

Re: EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS I vs II

I've been saving for weeks if not longer to come up with just enough cash to get the mark i version, for a good price, $800 to be exact. To my surprised, the lense still in prestine condition, not a single scratch on the body or glass. Anyway, I am noticing the photos seems to have a strong blue casting shade. Not sure if this is expected with this type of lens or something is wrong with the lens? Thanks,
LV

Frequent Contributor
Posts: 25
Registered: ‎01-30-2018

Re: EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS I vs II


@limvo05 wrote:

I've been saving for weeks if not longer to come up with just enough cash to get the mark i version, for a good price, $800 to be exact. To my surprised, the lense still in prestine condition, not a single scratch on the body or glass. Anyway, I am noticing the photos seems to have a strong blue casting shade. Not sure if this is expected with this type of lens or something is wrong with the lens? Thanks,
LV


After nearly 10 years and who knows how many thousands of pictures, my 70-200 MK 1 never had any issues like the one you described.  The lens is pretty legendary, so I would say something like you describe is not to eb "expected."    

Frequent Contributor
Posts: 44
Registered: ‎01-27-2018

Re: EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS I vs II

Here is a sample photo, that said, this one doesn't look too bad other than it's a little out of focus as I was closer than the minimum focus distant required, and i don't have my reading glasses on to manual focus properly._L7A3859.jpg

 

Should I be worried something wrong with the lens? Thanks

VIP
Posts: 9,053
Registered: ‎12-07-2012

Re: EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS I vs II

" I am noticing the photos seems to have a strong blue casting shade."

 

Easy to test !  Go out side on a nice sunny day set the camera to  WB to daylight and ISO 100.  Do some shots and look at them.  Remember your monitor could be off so you may want to use a couple different ones.  Maybe a friend?

 

Also, remove any filter you may have on the lens for this test.

A lot less stuff for 2018 but still a lot of Canon stuff. Along with, a lot of other stuff.
Frequent Contributor
Posts: 25
Registered: ‎01-30-2018

Re: EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS I vs II

Just want to update the group and leave this feedback for anyone else deciding between the mark 1 and 2 of this lens... 

 

Just finished my first shoot with the new 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS II.  Prom night.  

 

I don't think I am ever going to want to use another lens! 

 

Absolutely fabulous.  The clarity, IQ, and IS combination is just amazing.  I was also using my 24-70 L (also mark 1) and there was just no comparison when zooming into the details.  

 

this 70-200 was worth every penny for me.  Can't remember when I was so thrilled with a lens!  

 

Thanks for all the feedback while I was deciding.  

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 4,291
Registered: ‎06-25-2014

Re: EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS I vs II


@coachboz68 wrote:

Just want to update the group and leave this feedback for anyone else deciding between the mark 1 and 2 of this lens... 

 

Just finished my first shoot with the new 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS II.  Prom night.  

 

I don't think I am ever going to want to use another lens! 

 

Absolutely fabulous.  The clarity, IQ, and IS combination is just amazing.  I was also using my 24-70 L (also mark 1) and there was just no comparison when zooming into the details.  

 

this 70-200 was worth every penny for me.  Can't remember when I was so thrilled with a lens!  

 

Thanks for all the feedback while I was deciding.  


Not to keep you spending money, but it also works very nicely (as an outdoor lens anyway) with the 1.4X III extender.

Bob
Boston, Massachusetts USA
powered by Lithium

LIKE US on Facebook FOLLOW US on Twitter WATCH US on YouTube CONNECT WITH US on Linkedin WATCH US on Vimeo FOLLOW US on Instagram SHOP CANON at the Canon Online Store
© Canon U.S.A., Inc.   |    Terms of Use   |    Privacy Statement