cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EF 50mm 1.8 Manual Focus not Responding

Ziiar
Contributor

Hello. I recently got an EF 50mm 1.8 lens for my EOS 60D.

The automatic focus appears to be fine but turning the focus ring while in manual does not change focus at all. I've made sure that the lens is set to "MF" and I can see "M FOCUS" on my top display. I tried the lens on another camera and it behaves the same way.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

@Ziiar wrote:

Hi. Sorry, the shutter button problem I was having was a different issue that I have resolved now. Here is it's current state:

With the lens set to AF, the auto focus works fine. I can acheive this by pushing the shutter down half way.

With the lens set to MF, moving the focus ring does not change focus at all. Pushing the shutter half way while moving the ring, makes to change.

Does manual override work when the lens is set to AF? If not, then there must be a bad connection between the focus ring and the focusing motors. The focusing motors obviously work, or the lens would fail to autofocus. But I think a bad connection between the ring and the motors would explain the symptoms, including the fact that the failure is observed on more than one camera.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

View solution in original post

@kvbarkley wrote:

Call Canon customer service, you may have a bad lens.

If you just bought the lens, take it, or send it, back to the vendor for an exchange.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

28 REPLIES 28

Hello

to answer your question I've set the lens to manual mode on my kit lens

Hello

to answer your previous question i have been set the lens to manual by selecting manual on the lens.   

I have been turing the focus ring not the aperture ring. The aperture ring works fine. I just found out that

when the lens will focus normally when the lens is zoomed out. I am in the process of sending back the

samyang back to Amazon.  

Hello

can anyone help me?

Hi perceptional1,

Thank you for reaching out to Canon USA!

If you suspect your lens is malfunctioning, we suggest reaching out to Canon UK support. They'll be able to walk you through troubleshooting, and if necessary, sending your gear in for repair. They can be reached by visiting www.canon.co.uk

We hope you find this helpful! 

Thanks for your reply. So you don't think it's the camera that is at fault. It's just my other lens the samyang 14mm won't go in or out of focus it just stays on clear focus. It's a manual focus lens. Am afraid it's the camera that is to fault. Am afraid to buy another lens if it's the camera that's to fault. The kit zoom lens will achieve normal focus when it is zoomed out but not at

the minimum of the zoom lens.

@perceptional1 wrote:

Thanks for your reply. So you don't think it's the camera that is at fault. It's just my other lens the samyang 14mm won't go in or out of focus it just stays on clear focus. It's a manual focus lens. Am afraid it's the camera that is to fault. Am afraid to buy another lens if it's the camera that's to fault. The kit zoom lens will achieve normal focus when it is zoomed out but not at the minimum of the zoom lens.

A 14mm lens has such a large depth of field that it would be surprising if the subject looked out of focus in the viewfinder. Are the resulting pictures noticeably OOF?

And if the lack of focus is noticeable, is the effect the same in the viewfinder as in live view? It shouldn't be if the problem is in the camera, because the camera uses different focusing mechanisms in the viewfinder and in live view.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Hello

the samyang is a wide angle lens. It is a fully a manual focus lens. I usually shoot using live view. This lens like my 24-105mm the samyang stays in focus it can't achieve out of focus when the focus ring is roated it can't be adjusted it just stays in focus

i have sent back this lens to Amazon. 

In contrast my ef 50mm lens does achieve focusing 

I know this subject is about a 50mm not focusing my ef 50mm does focus. I couldn't find how to make a new subject so I replied to this subject

Announcements