cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EF 24-105mm/f3.5-5.6 IS STM vs EF 28-135mm/f3.5-5.6 IS USM

sanjivgrover
Apprentice

I am into amateur photography and I am looking for a decent walkaround lens for my canon 6D. What should i prefer between the EF 24-105mm/f3.5-5.6 IS STM and EF 28-135mm/f3.5-5.6 IS USM?

4 REPLIES 4

@sanjivgroverwrote:

I am into amateur photography and I am looking for a decent walkaround lens for my canon 6D. What should i prefer between the EF 24-105mm/f3.5-5.6 IS STM and EF 28-135mm/f3.5-5.6 IS USM?

You want the EF 24-105mm f/4L IS (version I or II).

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

As Robert implied you left out an important part of the model number. The "L" signifies a top-line Canon lens.

I wouldn't recommend the 28-135 IS because it is not as sharp as the three 24-105 lenses. It isn't available new anymore, but if you are on a budget, a second hand 28-135 can be bought for about $100-$200. Fot the price it is actually a pretty good lens. 

All three Canon 24-105 lenses are much better though.   The "non-L" STM is quite a bit cheaper than two the L versions, and may meet the needs of the OP.

001aa.jpg

B&H Photo Canon EF 24-105mm

001.jpg

Mike Sowsun

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I still have two  EF 28-135mm/f3.5-5.6 IS USM lenses.  At their price point they are a no brainer.  Best bang for the buck there is pretty much.  Not as sharp as the newer current models but you expect that. In general use I doubt you will be ble to tell the difference.  If you are a pixel peeper or you intend to blow up your photos a great deal, heavy crops, etc, maybe you should pass on it.

Passing on the bargain lens I would buy and recommend the Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS II USM Lens.  You might check if this is available in a 'white box' version.  Same lens only removed from a kit and sold separately.  I don't know if they have them or not but you can try.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements