cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EF 17-40mm f4 L USM For EOS800D what did you guys think ?

Louismichael
Apprentice

Okay im using eos 800d that just released this year and i wanted to buy a good wide angle lens. now im looking to buy Canon EF 17-40mm f4 L USM which i think is good enought. but im still not really sure What did you guys think ? should i buy that lens ?

6 REPLIES 6

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@Louismichael wrote:

Okay im using eos 800d that just released this year and i wanted to buy a good wide angle lens. now im looking to buy Canon EF 17-40mm f4 L USM which i think is good enought. but im still not really sure What did you guys think ? should i buy that lens ?

Why do you need a wide angle lens?  Why that range of focal lengths?  

Why that aperture size?  What are you trying to photograph?

If you can answer those questions, then you should be able to answer your own.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

17-40 is wide angle on a full frame body but it is not a wide angle lens when mounted on a crop body. Your standard kit lens for crop is 18-55 and 1 mm difference on the wide end is no difference.  A 17-40 makes little or no sense on a crop; you are just chopping off the 41-55 part of an 18-55.  The 17-40 is an L lens so it is more rugged but it is not a terribly sharp lens and not a lot sharper than the kit 18-55, and the kit lens has image stabilization.  

Wide angle on a crop body are the EF-s 10-18 or 10-22 or similar lenses. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

What Scotty says is right.  But the 17-40mm f4L makes a very good normal lens for the 800D. I used one on a Rebel for years.  It made me a lot of money so I can't fault it. The 16-35mm f2.8L is better although more expensive.

If you want a good normal zoom that is a pro level go ahead and buy it.  You won't be disappointed.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

The advantage of the 17-40 is that it works on a full-frame camera. If you're not going to go FF in the foreseeable future, get the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM instead. It's a stop faster, gives you more reach at the telephoto end, and probably has at least as good image quality.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

ScottyP
Authority

What lenses do you already have?  If you have an 18-55 or an 18-135, are you wanting a wider field of view than the 18mm end of your current lens?

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"If you're not going to go FF in the foreseeable future, get the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM instead."

The single reason is, if a person wants a stronger built lens for whatever reason.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements