Canon Community Canon Community

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Accepted Solution

EF 17-40mm f/4 L - Keep or sell?

I haven't used this lens much so am thinking of selling. However, not sure if I'm 'missing' something about the lens that would make keeping it bea better decision.

I have a Sigma 24mm/f 1.4, Sigma 50 mm/f1.4, Canon 24-105mm/f4L, and Canon 70-200mm/f 2.8 L ISII. Camera is 6D.

Would welcome comments from those who may have much more experience with this lens than I do.

Thanks

Respected Contributor

Re: EF 17-40mm f/4 L - Keep or sell?

Wide angle really benefits from careful composition. If you just shoot at objects in the middle to far distance everything can seem too far away to be interesting.  

I bought a 16-35 and experienced a twinge of buyers remorse after shooting the first time. Everything was tiny, far away and boring.  After reading some internet articles on composition for WA, I got into it. Put something in the foreground for the distortion to create drama.  

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?
Esteemed Contributor

DaBrownCO wrote:

I haven't used this lens much so am thinking of selling. However, not sure if I'm 'missing' something about the lens that would make keeping it bea better decision.

I have a Sigma 24mm/f 1.4, Sigma 50 mm/f1.4, Canon 24-105mm/f4L, and Canon 70-200mm/f 2.8 L ISII. Camera is 6D.

Would welcome comments from those who may have much more experience with this lens than I do.

Thanks

I think the 17-40 is probably out of production. But my recollection is that many considered it a mediocre lens, some even questioning whether it deserved its "L" status. It was followed by the various versions of the 16-35, which have been widely admired. I have the f/4 version and am very happy with it. The Mark II and III versions of the f/2.8 have an excellent reputation.

As Scott observes, unless you're trying for a dramatic placement of a foreground object against a panoramic background, it's easy to overlook your WA lens. But there can be times when you just plain have to have it. That realization hit me several years ago when I had to photograph our City Hall at work. I climbed up on the roof of the building across the street, but discovered that with my 50D and 18-50mm lens, I just couldn't get it all in. I started looking for a Tokina 11-16 (the popular APS-C WA lens at the time) the next day.

Bob
Boston, Massachusetts USA
VIP

If you want the best buy in a WA, the Tokina AT-X 16-28mm f/2.8 Pro FX Lens is the ticket.  Extremely high quality at around $700 bucks.

A lot of Canon stuff. Along with, a lot of other stuff.
Occasional Contributor

I do have the Sigma 24 mm as a wide lens, and to be honest, I'm kind of enthralled by it. Yes, I need to have an imposing foreground, but I love the fact of getting everything in in one shot. As you say Bob, there are times when you just get stuck.

I also consider the 17-40 as mediocre, and also am not sure about the L rating.

I like the idea of the 16-35mm though at a faster lens. That may be my plan. It's either that or an extended telephoto prime, say 300mm +, since the 16-35 would be more a nice to have. With my 24mm and 50mm Sigma's, I'm pretty set unless I am a pro, which is not the case.

Thanks,
David