cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II USM + Extender EF 2x III + Rebel EOS T7I

sridzyowski
Contributor

Hi Everyone,

Im new to photography. My Wife loves to take pictures of flowers and insects however I mainly like to take pictures of Birds from a distance and other things further away like the moon with my powershot sx60 

SO MY QUESTION IS. 

I just purchased the new Rebel EOS T7I .. Love it. but looking to ger the   EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II USM .. but i was also looking into purchasing an extender with it and figured why not get the   Extender EF 2x III . Would all this be possible and work with my T7I .. or would i just need to get the 1.4x ? 

All answers are helpful as well as any suggestions. 

Thanks Ahead of time

26 REPLIES 26

@cicopo wrote:

How well does the 100-400 Ver 2 + a 1.4 TC do at focusing on fast objects (over 100 MPH) travelling towards or away from you but at an angle something like the plane in this photo? It would be on either a 1D4 or 7D2.

The Great Egret I posted above was coming directly towards the camera in flight. I suspect the closure rate on the camera would be similar to the plane approaching at a 45 degree angle. I haven't used the combination at the race track as it is just too long for where I normally shoot from. The only time I notice focus speed at all with the 1.4X TC III is when the lens is set to 'Full' focus instead of '3m to infinity'. Then focus speed is noticeably slower. I suspect any complaints about focus speed of the lens stem from that. 

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@TTMartin wrote:

@cicopo wrote:

The Sigma (or Tamron) has lots more reach & a lot of us use it for that reason. It's a matter of what will work that you can afford and for me it's the 150-600 & my old 100-400 (ver 1) is on standby.

Yes, the old 100-400 (ver 1) was almost a 20 year old design, it doesn't compare to modern lenses from Sigma, Tamron, or Canon.

However, you won't find a better and more versitile lens than the EF 100-400 L IS II.  Even with a 1.4X TC III its image quality is on par with the best Sigma and Tamron have to offer, and without a TC its image quality is unmatched, except by the EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II. Add to that a short minimum focus distance and the EF 100-400 L IS II is the best lens in the 100-560mm range.

Note, however, that the 70-200 (any versions) is a constant-aperture lens, while the 100-400 isn't. Outdoors on a bright day that may not matter, but it's a reminder that the 100-400 isn't a universal substitute for the 70-200 (especially not for the f/2.8).

I agree, my intent wasn't to say that the EF 100-400 L IS II could replace the EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II. But, that the EF 100-400 L IS II actually matches the image quality of the acclaimed EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II.

"what do u think on this ?"

You Rebel T7i is fine.  Matter of fact, it is a great little camera.  The idea of adding extenders is what is not so great.

Stick with your T7i and Siggy 150-600mil and forget the extenders.

"i wanted to have a canon on canon"

There is a possibility Canon is going to release their own 150-600mm in the near future.  So hang on...............

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@sridzyowski wrote:

Agreed. Makes more sense now. so now it my T7I body that is becoming the issue now or i shouldnt worry to much about a full zoom that much anyway.. 

since the sigma 150-600 should just be as sufficient enough. my thing was i wanted to have a canon on canon vs a sigma lense on a canon camera . and figured since i hace the new t7i i should get the new 100-400 and returen my sigma lense ?

what do u think on this ?

If you are still within your return period, I would return the Sigma and get the Canon EF 100-400 L IS II.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
Third party is a term used for items not the same brand as a base unit. You are the first party, Canon is the second party. If you are using a non-Canon accessory it is a third party item.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@sridzyowski wrote:

Hi Everyone,

Im new to photography. My Wife loves to take pictures of flowers and insects however I mainly like to take pictures of Birds from a distance and other things further away like the moon with my powershot sx60 

SO MY QUESTION IS. 

I just purchased the new Rebel EOS T7I .. Love it. but looking to ger the   EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II USM .. but i was also looking into purchasing an extender with it and figured why not get the   Extender EF 2x III . Would all this be possible and work with my T7I .. or would i just need to get the 1.4x ? 

All answers are helpful as well as any suggestions. 

Thanks Ahead of time

Since the T7i supports autofocus at f/8 on 27 of its AF points the EF 100-400 L IS II is your clear choice. With the EF 1.4X II TC it is sharper than the Tamron 150-600 and the Sigma 150-600 C. It is as sharp as the Sigma 150-600 Sport, but at half the weight.

A00A1697-3.jpg

EF 100-400 L IS II with 1.4X III, 560mm

As someone else mentioned with its small minimum focus distance, the EF 100-400 L IS II and 1.4X TC makes it a great lens for all kinds of wildlife.

A00A3353.jpg

EF 100-400 L IS II and 1.4X TC III, 560mm

A00A6106.jpg

A00A8938.jpg

Announcements