cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Depth of field question

FWG
Contributor

My 5D Mk3 seems to have a DoF which is biased from the focus point towards the camera. In other words the depth of field is not equal about the point of focus. It is particularly noticable on my Canon 85mm f1.8 lens when taking "close up" photos at about 1m from the camera at wide appatures. To a lesser extent it also seems present on my 24 - 70mm f2.8 and of course the effect is less at longer focus distances and smaller appatures. Has anyone else experienced this and can it be adjusted (or is that normal)?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Waddizzle

As you were so helpful re my question just to let you know the outcome. I followed all the tests you suggested and have concluded that I am not a very good photographer as I could find nothing wrong with my camera or lens settings. It is however sometimes good to know what the problem isn't as I can now concentrate on my technique knowing that there is a perfect shot to be had!

Thanks again and Happy 2018

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

" In other words the depth of field is not equal about the point of focus. "

That is correct, it is not equal.  Unless the focal length is the same all lenses will be different.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Sorry - I did not understand the second part of your reply. My problem is that if I am taking a photo of an object using the camera focusing system everything in front of the point I focus on (within the DoF limits of course) is in focus but vitrually nothing behind the point of focus is "in focus". I can overcome this bias by using manual focus which is fine if the object is not moving but that is not always the case!

I think you are refering to the hypoer focus distance. The hyperfocal distance is the closest distance at which a lens can focus while keeping objects that are at infinity acceptably sharp. When the lens is focused at this distance, all objects which are at a distance from 1/2 of the hyper focus distance clear out to infinity and will be acceptably sharp.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

If I am focusing on something only 1m from the camera with a wide aperture I know that there will be a point at which the image is blurred both in front of and behind the focus point. The DoF would not be more than a few inches in fact. The problem is that all the portion of the image which is in focus is in front of the registered point of focus. Pretty much everything immediately  behind the point of focus is  not sharp.

@FWG wrote:

If I am focusing on something only 1m from the camera with a wide aperture I know that there will be a point at which the image is blurred both in front of and behind the focus point. The DoF would not be more than a few inches in fact. The problem is that all the portion of the image which is in focus is in front of the registered point of focus. Pretty much everything immediately  behind the point of focus is  not sharp.

It sounds ike your camera/lens combination could be back focusing.  If the lens consistently back focuses wide open on subjects at different distances [25x and 50x the focal length], then backfocusing is the problem.  Typically, you would want 2/3 of the depth of field to be behind the focus plane.

You can correct for it on a per lens basis using AFMA, auto focus micro adjustment, in the camera menus.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Excellent - are there any instructions (Canon or otherwise) that can help me do this? I do not want to make iut worse!

@FWG wrote:

Excellent - are there any instructions (Canon or otherwise) that can help me do this? I do not want to make iut worse!

Yes, do a web search on YouTube for " Dot Tune Method ".  You will also need a tripod and a focus target.  You can stretch a tape measure across the floor to use as a focus target, too.  This adjustment works best with a broadband light source, like sunlight.  Artificial lighting is not broadband, and may throw off the results.

Making the adjustment is not as routine as it might seem.  The first thing you to do would be test your technique at taking measurements.  You should be able to take several test shots, and they should all be consistently off by nearly the same amount.  The lens itself will have some variation in how consistently it focuses, but this is why you take many test shots, and come up with an average.

When you perform the actual adjustments, once again you want to take several measurements, and come up with an average correction value to enter into the camera.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thanks for your help and patience!

@FWG wrote:

Excellent - are there any instructions (Canon or otherwise) that can help me [use AFMA to correct my focusing issue]? I do not want to make it worse!

Look it up in your instruction manual. AFMA isn't nearly as complicated as some make it out to be. All you really have to do is take a series of pictures, using different AFMA settings, of a scene that has objects at different distances and zero in on the setting in which the object actually in focus most closely matches what the camera thought was in focus. Your 5D3 allows you to record AFMA values at both ends of a lens's zoom range for greater accuracy.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Announcements