cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dead focus spot on EF-S 18-55 mm IS II

mkyp
Contributor

I'm having auto focus problems with my  EF-S 18-55 mm IS II lens, typically at about 24 mm.

When I press the shutter halfway, the camera will intermittently not focus (no red indicator on one of more auto focus points and no motor movement), this typically happens when the lens is at about 24 mm.  Sometimes I can get it to focus by zooming in and out by adjusting the focal length by turning the lens barrel.

I know this is an entry level lens and is probably cheaper to replace the lens vs getting it repaired by a shop.Is there anything that can be done to address this condition (I'm handy and do not have much to lose by trying to fix it myself...)

Any clue as to the problem? 

thanx, mark

5 REPLIES 5

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@mkyp wrote:

I'm having auto focus problems with my  EF-S 18-55 mm IS II lens, typically at about 24 mm.

When I press the shutter halfway, the camera will intermittently not focus (no red indicator on one of more auto focus points and no motor movement), this typically happens when the lens is at about 24 mm.  Sometimes I can get it to focus by zooming in and out by adjusting the focal length by turning the lens barrel.

I know this is an entry level lens and is probably cheaper to replace the lens vs getting it repaired by a shop.Is there anything that can be done to address this condition (I'm handy and do not have much to lose by trying to fix it myself...)

thanx, mark

You are correct.  If the lens is broken, it is not worth the cost of repair.  The lens does not have "manual focus override" which means you can turn the focus ring while the AF/MF lens switch is in the AF position.  Doing so jams the AF motors, which causes the lens not to focus at all.

It is all too easy to be looking through the viewfinder, reach up to adjust the zoom ring, but turn the focus ring, instead.  Your description is one that I have never heard before, that it won't focus at just a certain focal length.  

Not focusing can be caused any one of a half dozen reasons.  For example, there may not be sufficient light for the camera's AF sensor to properly focus.  Or, the subject is too close to the lens to bring the subject into focus.

Buying the STM version of the lens will be a big improvement in image quality, AND the lens has MF Override.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@mkyp wrote:

thanx, mark

Focus points are a feature of the camera, not of the lens. If the inability to focus really is manifest only at a specific focus point, with all else equal, the fault is in the camera.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Robert is correct.  Cameras AF.  Lenses do not, they have no idea where they are in the focus arena!

The bestest, mostest, easyest way is to try it on a different camera.  Smiley Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I tried it on another camera and got the same behavior.  Also tried a differnet lens of the same type on my camera and it worked fine. So the  isue is with the lens.

Sorry but you answered your question. 

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements