cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Choosing my 50mm f/1.4

idanidan123
Enthusiast
I see there's a 50mm f/1.4 FD lens and a USM lens, What's the difference between them?
Thanks in advance!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@idanidan123 wrote:
I have the 70D, if that makes any difference.

Just to be clear... 

You need to use Canon "EOS" lenses.  The EOS line is split into a few categories... the major categories are EOS "EF" lenses and EOS "EF-S" lenses.  Your camera can use either the EF or EF-S lenses (full-frame bodies can only use "EF" lenses, but your camera body has an APS-C size sensor which means it can also use "EF-S" lenses).    

Canon also makes a few speciality lenses which include their tilt-shift lenses designated EOS "TS-E" and there a speciality macro-photo lens called the EOS "MP-E".  Your camera can use those lenses as well.

HOWEVER... Canon started producing some EOS "mirrorless" camera bodies called the EOS "M" series and they make a special line of lenses just for those cameras called the EOS "EF-M".  Your camera is NOT compatible with the EF-M (mirrorless camera) lenses.

Lastly... there are third party lens makers such as Sigma, Tamron, Tokin, and others.  As long as those lenses are designed for Canon EOS mount, then you can use them.  Just be careful because those 3rd parties make lenses for lots of camera brands and only the lenses with Canon EOS mount will (hopefully) work.  Every so often there are compatibility issues with the electronics because the lens makers have to try to reverse engineer the connection.  Typically this happens if the 3rd party lens is very old and your camera is very new -- so your camera has features that didn't exist back when the used 3rd party lens was originally designed.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20

idanidan123
Enthusiast
Gotcha! Thanks!
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements