cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon rebel eos lenses

Cathytack
Apprentice
Does anyone know if I can use my regular film canon lenses on a digital canon rebel?
17 REPLIES 17

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

It depends on the film camera.  

Canon did sell EOS cameras which were 35mm film cameras.  These cameras used EOS "EF" mount lenses.  Those same EOS lenses will work on any Canon EOS digital camera today (including all Rebel bodies.)

But prior to the EOS film cameras, Canon's 35mm film cameras used "FD" series lenses.  Those lenses were not electronic and do have auto-focus.  They are not compatible with Canon EOS bodies (although there are adapters which will allow them to be mounted -- but they have to be used as manual lenses... no auto-focus nor auto-aperture control.)

If you have an "FD" series lens, I do not generally recommend attempting to use it on an EOS camera (even though you can get an adapter) unless it's really an exceptional lens.  You'd be much better served by using an EOS lens for an EOS body.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Very good advice from Mr. Campbell. Once more, older film EF lenses are not going to give you spectacular performance on a new Rebel body. There have been too many improvements over the years.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

"Very good advice from Mr. Campbell. Once more, older film EF lenses are not going to give you spectacular performance on a new Rebel body. There have been too many improvements over the years"

I wouldn't dismiss ALL older film lenses.

I starting shooting with EOS film cameras in 1990 and still have some of my original lenses from then. Some of them actually work very well with today's Digital cameras.

Most of the "Kit" lenses from the film days were not very good, but prime lenses like the EF 50mm 1.8 or EF 35mm 2.0 are still very good lenses and will give you great result even today. The EF 35mm 2.0 is so good it has been in continuous production since 1990. The EF 50mm 1.4 is also a "film era" lens that has been in continuous production since 1993.  

Some of the older zooms aren't too shabby either. The EF 24-85mm 3.5-4.5 USM, EF 28-105mm 3.5-4.5 USM, EF 28-135mm 3.5-5.6 USM, and EF 70-210mm 3.5-4.5 USM can all give pretty good images as well.

Mike Sowsun

Mike Sowsun

sjg182424
Contributor

I just got a Canon Eos Rebel T5. Will a Vivitar telephoto lens work with it?

"Will a Vivitar telephoto lens work with it?"

The question should be, "Will a Vivitar telephoto lens work well with a T5?"  The answer is, it may mount up if it is an EF mount but at best it will be inferior to any real Canon lens.  If you are satified with that level of performance check to see if the Viv is EF compatible.

Which Vivatar is it?  I amy be able to tell you whether it will mount or not.  If you have not bought it yet, don't !

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

The Vivitar lens is a telephoto 135mm, serial number 3701666. Im not sure if it was an EF mount or not. I found it at a thrift store for $8 but wanted to do some research to see if it would work before I actually got it.

If it is an EF mount - you can tell by comparing it to your current lens - pay special attention to the contact area - you might go ahead, otherwise, pass.

@sjg182424 wrote:

The Vivitar lens is a telephoto 135mm, serial number 3701666. Im not sure if it was an EF mount or not. I found it at a thrift store for $8 but wanted to do some research to see if it would work before I actually got it.

The model number is what can tell us what type of mount the lens might have.  If you need an EF mount adapter, which I think you most likely will, then you can figure on spending around $30 to $50 on an adapter.  In other words, it ain't worth it. 

If you want a good deal on a genuine Canon lens, use the link at the lower right corner of most forum pages to the Canon Online Store.  Canon sells fully warranteed, factory refurbished lenses and camera bodies. 

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/lenses-flashes/refurbished-lenses

Above is a direct link to the Refurbished Lens store.  What camera body are you using?  Do you know the difference between lenses with model numbers that begin with EF and those that being with EF-S?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Apparently its a Rebel EOS SL1 not a T5 like i thought. It says its a EF-S. Im really very new to photography and dont know much about it. My last camera was just a cheap point and shoot type.

Announcements