cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon Zoom Lens EF-S 55-250mm Grinding Noise in Live View

Tyler217
Apprentice

Hello!

I've recently bought a used Canon camera with some extra lenses, one of which in zoom lens ef-s 55-250mm, today i've noticed that when you go to the live view in starts to make some kind of a grinding noise, not very loud, noticable basically in a quiet environment or if you get close to it, but it's a bit annoying anyway. Also I am not sure if the sound was there last couple of days while I was using it.

If anyone knows if it's just a lens thing, or it's a problem that can or cannot be fixed, if it's serious or not - please let me know, would really appreciate it!

Thank you!

P.S.

I've attached a recording of the sound, taken with a phone directly and very close to the lens. Noise Recording

P.P.S.

There are a couple of clicks in the recording, that is me accidentally touching the lens with the phone. The sound itself is quiet constant.

P.P.P.S.

You would want to put the headphones on to hear it properly.

11 REPLIES 11

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I have no headphones, so I have not listened to it.  

What is the full model number of the lens?  I suspect that what you are hearing is probably the IS system in the lens.  Try turning it off, and see if it goes away.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I think that is actually a full name of the model, there are no other specifications on the lens, eccept for aperture range (1:4-5.6) and that it has IS. I've tried the obvious options - turning thigs on and off, while the camera was on, while it was off, changing the lenses etc.

Also, I've notices that the sound dissappeares just for a bit right after I press the shutter and it makes the photo, when the mirror clicks, the sound dissappears, then back on track.

Did you turn OFF the IS, and leave it OFF?

What camera body are you using?

The model number should be written on the lens.  If not, that is a potential problem.

I am using Canon EOS 70D, I did turn off the IS and left it off. I only found the serial number - [Removed serial number to protect personal information].

If your lens is bad, then it not worth the expense to repair it.  But, I am not convinced that it is bad.

E33AAB6D-A7BF-4658-A88D-F3B99E8D640B.jpeg

Is that what your lens looks like?  Do you see the model number that appears at the front of the lens?  This lens is the EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II lens.  If you are uncertain, then I suggest that you contact Canon.  Be aware, they will ask you what is the EXACT and FULL model number of the lens.  There has been more than one version that has been released over the years.

This is what the EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM, the latest version, looks like.

1D3C8A48-2905-4E50-AF59-62D0712279AE.jpeg

See the model number?  I would expect your lens to be one of these two lenses.  If not, and your lens turns out to be bad, then it is not worth getting it repaired.

There is a setting in the camera that enables and disables focus hunting, when the camera has lost focus.  Disable it.  Turn off the AF on the lens, and see if the lens can be manually focused.  Make sure you are not too close to a subject, and that you have sufficient light.  Going outside on a bright sunny day works best.  Use “P” shooting mode, and note the exposure settings.  What are they?

I have been searching for a similar answer. I have had an M6 for a few weeks and noticed that my EFS 55-250 version 1 would produce the grinding noise (similar to IS sound but quieter) whether IS on the lens was turned on or off. Having read this thread  I tried it on my 60d with Liveview and had the same issue. I had never noticed that before. I then tried it back on my M6 using the viewfinder, hoping that the noise would stop when the viewfinder was active. Unfortunately that didn't happen. 

So we can at least conclude that there is an issue with Liveview with this lens, and it doesn't mean a particular lens is faulty. I tested the lens on the M6 at slow shutter speeds and IS works. My only worry is that it may drain the battery.

All we can say is this.  Since we aren't there to hear what you both believe to be possible "grinding", its difficult to conclusively diagnose over the internet. 

If either of you live in NorCal, my 55-250 IS STM has under 60 mins use on it.  Its whisper quiet and I'd be happy to allow you to use for comparison.    

P.S. - All my APS-C lenses are for sale to.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thanks for your response. I don't think I will take up your offer to try your STM - 10,000 mile round journey :). Thanks anyway. I am happy with this thread because  I now know that my lens doesn't have a fault.  I posed this query on the dpreview forum and one of the members tried two of his EF STM lenses on his M6 and could hear the IS mechanism working continually (although barely audible); it did stop when IS was turned off. He had read that non EM IS lenses do have IS permanently on when using "more recent" M cameras. I assume my older 55-250 non STM lens has the extra issue of some aspect of the IS motor working when IS is turned off. The IS noise of this older model is quite noticeable when the shutter is pressed, and together with noisy AF makes the lens less useful for video work. I am still tempted to possibly buy the EFM 50-200 for its compact size and retain my 55-250 for the 60d. 

Announcements