cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon T3i + EF 70-200mm f/4 L IS USM Lens?

WolfheartFilms
Contributor

I am a young photographer who currently owns the T3i Costco kit (Comes with the 18-55 IS II and 55-250 IS II). I am very interested in buying the EF 70-200 f/4 L IS USM lens, because I love doing up-close photos. Would the lens work well with the T3i, and would it be any better than the 55-250 IS II?

Thanks,

WolfheartFilms (Caleb)

16 REPLIES 16

Reason I asked was that bringing distant objects closer is task for telephoto lenses, but getting close to an oblect and seeing great detail is generally a macro lens.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

The 70-200mm f/4L is a noticeable upgrade over the 55-250.

The 55-250 is a consumer grade lens where affordability is an important consideration.  The 70-200 is an L series lens.

You will likely notice much improvement in contrast and ability to resolve fine detail over the 55-250.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

It really comes down to how serious are you.  Is this just a hobby or are you interested in taking it farther?

If you are a hobbists keep what you have and spend the money on other equipment.  But if you are ready to move to the next level by all means buy it.  The 'kit' lens is designed for the masses and the 'L' is designed for the advanced and pros.

Beside the obivious IQ improvement, an 'L' lens is designed for day in day out use.  It is designed to work and work every time for a long time.  The average 'just for funsey' person doesn't need that.

If you are that guy that wants to take it farther, I doubt the 70-200mm will be the only lens you will want but it fills it's intended roll very well.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ScottyP
Authority
The "L" lens will give you better detail and contrast and less distortion of several varieties.  I am not sure if it is the lens for what you are after.  It would help if you gave more info. 
How long have you been shooting this setup? 
What do you shoot? 
Inside or outside?
Ever in low light?
Are you saying the kit lenses do not give you enough clear sharp detail when you crop in in post?

Before I bought a zoom lens whose range I already had covered, and, more importantly, whose APERTURE is not markedly wider than the lens I already have, I would first examine what I want/need from it. 

If you were going for the much more expensive f/2.8 version, you would be getting about 4x more light into the thing compared to the kit lens at long zoom, so you could shoot with 4x the shutter speed.  The f/4 will (only) give you 2x the shutter speed (2x the light) as the kit lens at long zoom.

Consider buying a prime lens if that fits your needs and budget.  A 50mm f/1.4 is a good portrait lens on a crop, as well as a good long-ish walk-around.  A 35mm f/1.4 on a crop is a very practical walk-around on a crop.  Both are about the same price as your f/4 70-200, but at f/1.4 they will give you almost 8x the light (ergo 8x the shutter speed) as the f/4, and almost 16x the light a variable aperture f/5.6 kit lens has on the long end.  And prime lenses (non-zoom fixed lenses) are smaller and lighter because they have less glass, and they are even sharper (usually) than the 70-200 "L" zoom glass because their design is simpler and involves less glass.  Canon makes them, of course, but also look at the Sigma "Art" prime 35 and 50 lenses for about $900.00.
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

Mr_Fusion
Enthusiast

You will always be upgrading your camera every few years. Lenses and other equipment though, you'll want to use on that new camera. If you are serious about getting any new lens, buy as good as you can afford. "L" series lenses are very good quality. the 55-250 is a consumer / hobbyist, bottom of the pile lens that just happens to do a very good job. Any "L" lens will do a better job. The lens will have a greater impact on any shot than the camera will.

The consumer grade lenses are not environmentally sealed. The "L" lenses are. An "L" lens will fit any Canon EOS body. The "S" lenses only fit the cropped (Rebel) bodies. The Rebel line are very good cameras and will take as good a shot as the top of the line. But they too have short comings and are not as robust as the more expensive cameras. At some point you will most likely replace your camera. You shouldn't need to replace the lenses as well. 

Remember, it isn't the camera or lens that gets a great shot. It's the person behind the camera. Whatever you do, enjoy it and make the best with what you have because 99% of the people looking won't know and won't care about your equipment. But you will.

"The "L" lenses are."

Most "L" lenses are !  Some more or less than others.

"It's the person behind the camera."

Reality is, 1/2 gear (camera/lens), 1/2 you, and 1/2 post editing.  Not necessarily in that order. Smiley Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

And, 3/4 subject.

Announcements